Duties & Responsibilities
The Village of Maryville Building and Zoning Department enforces standards for the construction of buildings within the Village limits (PDF) to ensure the safety of the public by administering and enforcing the Illinois State Building Code, the Village of Maryville Building Code, and the Village of Maryville Code of Ordinances.
To meet these requirements, the department:
- Issues building permits
- Investigates complaints, typically concerning illegal construction, housing maintenance standards, and property maintenance issues
- Performs inspections of new or substantially altered buildings to assure that construction has been completed according to the appropriate codes and laws and, when necessary, grants its approval
- Reviews applications and plans for new construction and the alteration of existing structures
- Reviews applications and plans for the construction of new developments and subdivisions
- Works closely with the Planning Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals and the Board of Trustees
The Building Code
The Building and Zoning Department consists of the Building and Zoning Administrator and is primarily responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Building Code, which regulates the design, construction, and maintenance of buildings and their related equipment as necessary to safeguard the safety, health, and welfare of the occupants and the public.