Click to Home
Go To Search
1900 - 1993
History of Maryville: 1900 - 1993
October 1900 
C.W.F. Lange, a farmer (and his wife Mary for whom the town of Maryville is named), dedicated a parcel of land for public use. Approximately 300 people resided in the area and the dedication of this land was the basis for transactions that led to the incorporation of the area into the Village of Maryville. A petition for incorporation was circulated among residents of the area and filed with the county clerk in Edwardsville.

October 28, 1901
East St. Louis and Interurban Railway Company had extended its electric car service through Maryville. The first car passed through Maryville on this day. Charles Lange was instrumental in routing the railway through Maryville. This car line ran from Collinsville to Edwardsville along the present-day Route 159 (Center Street). Just south of the Knights of Columbus Hall, where the COCA building is located, was the roundhouse or train shed where the trains were serviced. Inside the new Fire Department building, look for a picture of a group of firefighters aboard three wagons. They are sitting amongst tall grass with a brick building in the background. Notice the arched doorways and then go look at the COCA building and look at the windows. It is the same building. Passengers boarded the electric streetcars at the intersection of Main and Center streets. Between what is now Center Street and the Fireside Inn was a small shack containing a potbellied stove where the passengers could wait for streetcars. Deliveries of goods were also made at this intersection. Mary Bibko was unsure whether the streetcars had a special car at the end for the delivery of goods or whether it was a separate car.

Railroad transportation service was provided to Maryville by the East St. Louis, Troy, and Eastern Railroad (now Illinois Terminal), which was constructed by the Donks to ship coal from their Troy mine.

June 3, 1902
A general election was held for the purpose of incorporation. Of the 112 persons for whom ballots were printed, 47 voted in favor of incorporation, three voted opposing, and 62 failed to vote.

July 1, 1902
An election was held for election of the Village Board. The first board members were: President John Enz, Clerk Mike Daly, Treasurer Albert Hrubetz, and six trustees: John Contratto, Charles Forneso, Lewis Novero, William Schoettle, and Edward and William Williams. John Enz was proprietor of a confectionery and lunchroom in the Hrubetz building, which was located at the northeast corner of Main and Center streets.

At the first board meeting, the matter of business concerned revenue. It was decided that saloons would pay an annual license of $500. This soon became known as Ordinance NIX or the dram shop license. Most of the money spent at the saloons was for five-cent steins of beer. There were four saloons at this time and all were run by village officials: Mike Daly, Al Hrubetz, Charley Fornero, and John Contralto.

August 5, 1902
At the board's second meeting, Clerk Daly read 23 ordinances. The ordinances were prepared by a young Edwardsville attorney named D.H. Mudge, who later became circuit judge. His fee for directing the incorporation through court and two elections was $85. These ordinances were written and sealed on August 30 and posted in three public places on September 1, 1902.

Ordinances I to VIII dealt with duties of trustees and city employees. In Maryville's early years the duties of the village Marshall and street commissioner were shared by one person and this position had a high turnover rate. One of the duties of the street commissioner was to receive prisoners and sentence them to work on the streets (females were exempt from this requirement). The street commissioner also had the power to arrest.

Ordinance X covered fees and salaries. The president of the board of trustees was to be paid $1.50 for each meeting attended. The village clerk was to be paid $55 a year plus any additional fees. The treasurer received 2% of all money collected, whereas the village marshal received $600 a year plus $0.25 per prisoner. Jurors and witnesses were paid $0.05 per day while in court. Ordinance XII states that it is "...unlawful to sell liquor to minors, insane, idiotic or distracted person, nor to any habitual drunkard or person intoxicated." These persons were also not allowed to loiter in areas where liquor was being served. Sales of liquor were prohibited on Sundays and on special election days.

Ordinance XIV dealt with misdemeanors. Section XV was interesting in that it was unlawful to "indecently exhibit any stud horse, bull, jackass or any other animal in any public place." Section XIX prohibits any billiard room, ball, or pin alley to be open on Sunday. Section XX states "whoever, on Sunday, shall disturb the peace or good order of society by play or amusement shall be subject to a penalty of not less than $3 nor more than $15 for each offense." Section XXI made it illegal to conduct business on Sunday, and Section LII prohibited the sell of boar or bull meat. Ordinance XVIII was set up for the village marshal to collect $1 per male dog per year and $3 per female dog per year. The marshal received $0.15 per dog. Ordinance XXIII placed a curfew of 8:00 pm from March 1 to August 31, and 7:30 pm from September 1 to February 8, for all children ages 15 and under. A bell was placed in front of the calaboose to announce curfew. Clerk Daly resigned at this meeting.

August 19, 1902
Trustees sought legal advice for the construction and maintenance of streets. While the coal company supplied the cinders, the Collinsville Township Road and Bridge Department was hired to extend a road to Troy Road crossing.

October 6, 1902
Gasoline-fueled streetlights were installed.

October 7, 1902
At the board meeting, which regularly met on the first and third Tuesday of each month, it was decided that the city should lease the S. Aveeta building. Rent was $9 per month. Maryville opened its first public school on the second floor of this building. (This is near the location of Maryville's last post office on Donk Avenue between Main and Second streets.) Adult classes were offered in the evening. William Sliva was in charge and later became principal. A new school was soon built hereafter, which was located east of the mine. During the early years the students had to carry their own water to school since there were no wells there. (To find the location of this school, travel east of Maryville on Main Street, to about two blocks east of the railroad tracks, and look for remains of a concrete slab.) One of the first teachers at this school was Mrs. Bohn who lived in Edwardsville.

At this same meeting, it was decided that the city should purchase its first public building. Maryville's first public building followed appointment by trustees Contralto, Fornero, and Schoettle on a Calaboose committee. For $4 they purchased the lot adjoining the greenhouse from James Barberi. Ordinance XXVII stated that this building was to be called the prison, village prison, or Calaboose. The calaboose was located at Lange and Second streets and was used briefly for the bimonthly board meeting place. In November the first arrests occurred, but it is not clear whether prison time was served. The first person was fined $30 and additional arrests also resulted in fines and street labor.

One source (not in the minutes) states that in February 1903, eight months after incorporation, the first arrest occurred and the prisoner was held at the first public building, called the Calaboose that had been purchased just the year before. The mayor's wife, Molly Enz was paid $0.25 to prepare meals for the prisoner. I cannot confirm this information, although I know this was not the first arrest, perhaps it is the first which required a stay in the prison.

1902
Donk Brothers Coal and Coke Company opened its mine. (Now you know why Maryville has a street named Donk!) The mine became one of the largest in the state, employing 700-800 miners and having a payroll of $90,000 every two weeks. Area mines included the Troy mine, which was called No. 1, Maryville was No. 2, Cuba was No. 3, and Edwardsville was No. 4. The Donk brothers also owned the Thermal mine in Edwardsville and the mine in Troy. In Collinsville the Maggies owned mines Maggie No. 1 and No. 2. As mine operations grew, stores, rooming houses, a blacksmith shop, taverns (over a dozen), and other businesses sprang up. There was also a hotel, which was called a boarding house. Most of the occupants were miners. Most of the town's revenue came from the taverns. McCormick's ran a restaurant along with the train station, which was located in the far east side of the Hrubetz building (Fireside Inn). This was a favorite place for travelers to stop and dine. Cohens owned a general store on Main Street.

January 6, 1903
Maryville's first marshal and city commissioner, R.V. French resigned. He was replaced on January 20 by A.E. Armstrong. Armstrong resigned on April 21 and was replaced by John Kirkpatrick.

May 5, 1903
The first post office was installed with William Mabbs as postmaster. It was located in the Mabbs building, which is located at Main and Lange streets (the present location of the Baptist church). Mabbs also served as the village clerk. Gus Kessler, a miner, served as Maryville's second mayor until 1905. The new trustees were John Contralto, John Pianfette, Ben Jones, Peter Grode, John McCullough, and John Jones. J.C. Danklef was the new clerk, succeeding William E. Mabbs, who had been appointed when Mr. Daly resigned. McCullough motioned that the board change its meeting place from the residence of W.E. Mabbs to the village jail.

May 20, 1903
The minutes of this meeting expressed the urgency of W.E. Mabbs to fulfill the office of police magistrate for which he had been duly elected. Peter Grode moved that the village board meet at the Red Mess (?name unclear) Hall. There were also intentions to meet with Donk and Brantly (?name unclear) to discuss lighting the village with electricity.

August 19, 1903
It was requested that the Donk brothers donate land so that a sidewalk to the school could be built.

September 21, 1903
The board motioned that brick sidewalks to the school be constructed.

October 21, 1903
Ordinance XXIII stated that the bell in front of the Calaboose, which is used to announce curfew, be moved to the front of the school building.

December 2, 1903
Maryville's third marshal, John Kirkpatrick, resigned. He was replaced by Thomas Barker. As marshal and street commissioner, he received $75 monthly salary.

March 2, 1904
The trustees carried a motion to purchase two acres of land for a cemetery.

May 4, 1904
The results of the April 21 election were as follows. Fred Lange Jr. became village clerk. The new trustees were Gottlieb Holzweg, John Contralto, and Joe Fries.

June 6, 1904
C.W.F. Lange sold four acres of land for $400 for Fairland Cemetery. Prices were set at $10 per lot, $2.50 per grave, and $4 for opening a grave.

August 17, 1904
The first telephone franchises were purchased by the Central Union Telephone Company and Kinloch Long Distance Company.

September 7, 1904
Ordinance XXXVI granted Central Union Telephone Company the right to erect and maintain poles and wires.

October 19,1904
Concrete sidewalks were built on the north side of Lange Street from the corner of Al Hrubretz property to the Heim (?name unclear) building.

December 7, 1904
Trustee John Contralto resigned and George Robertson was elected village marshal.

April 19, 1905
The newly elected city officials were: Board President Fred Neubauer, Village Clerk John A. Browning, Trustee Charles Zaretti, Trustee J.M. Varner, Trustee Albert Hrubetz, Trustee Joseph Fries, Trustee Henry Yankus, Marshall Joseph Quaitto, and Treasurer Mike Daly.

May 17, 1905
The Center Street electric car line added tiling under the tracks. Joseph Fries resigned as trustee. The following people operated taverns as recorded by paying $125 dram shop fees: Al Hrubetz, Joseph Oberto, Fornero, Hy. Yankus, Tornibus and Yankus, and Dorr. Bertino. $50 fees for operating a wholesale license were collected from: Al Hrubetz (central area), Wm. Martin (star area), Eichuran (Highland area), and $10 was collected from W.B. Bischoff for selling mineral water. A traveling troupe came to Maryville presenting "Ten Nights in a Barroom." Enough people attended that the village received $2.50 in receipts.

June 21, 1905
Donk gave the village a strip of land 40-feet wide from Center Street to the Troy and Eastern railroad track (these tracks crossed the mine) for a roadway. He also agreed to help in the construction of a fire department.

July 8, 1905
Center Street was opened and extended.

September 6, 1905
William H. Holtgreve paid $10 to harvest clover on the land.

September 13, 1905
Building plans were started for the construction of a public building. At a board meeting, Mayor Neubauer and trustees Albert Hrubetz and J.M. Varner reported that the mining company would help with the construction. B.L. Witherwell of Edwardsville was awarded a $675 contract to build a two-story frame building, 24 feet by 20 feet, with a belfry, which was to be the second public building to be used as the Village Hall and firehouse. The belfry was 4 feet by 4 feet. In front of the engine room was one double sliding arched door. The outside was painted white with green trim. The interior had concrete flooring with stairs in the back. This building was located on Second and Lange streets, adjacent to the Calaboose.

October 4,1905
The Village Board along with help from the Donk brothers started a fire department and purchased a Number 38 fire engine with a 60-gallon steel tank to hold chemicals, for $750. One hundred feet of hose cost $0.35 per foot and a hose reel cost $90. Six cisterns were scattered throughout the village for a water supply. Fees were $3 per fire.

November 15, 1905
Plank sidewalks were built on one side of Daly Street from Angus Gibson's place to George Pluhutnick's place. This street ran parallel to the streetcar line.

Christmas Eve, 1905
The first public gathering in the new hall attracted most of the townspeople for the Methodist Sunday School's Christmas Eve program.

F.J. Neubauer served as mayor from 1905-1907. Neubauer was also a partner with W.O. Hughes in operation of a general store.

1905 - 1906
Churches held Sunday school classes on the first and third Monday of each month in the Village Hall. (Ordinance XLII, October 4, 1905)

February 6,1906
A public library was installed in the Village Hall. A bookcase was purchased for $19.75. Books were stamped and numbered.

April 15, 1906
The newly elected officials were: Clerk John A. Browning, Trustee John Desper, Trustee H. Holtgroeve, Trustee August Kehn, and Treasurer Mike Daly. (Personal note: Browning wrote beautifully and in detail; I could actually read his writing.)

May 17, 1906
John Desper was put on a committee to purchase a fire alarm bell.

July 2, 1906
Wagon scales were purchased by Garnet and Co. and placed on East Main Street. Ordinance XIV, written on October 19, regulated scales, weighers, and measurers. The Donk brothers also operated their own scales. Sam Clayton worked at their scales.

August 1, 1906
John A. Browning recorded that a bell was purchased from Simone Hardware Company for $45 plus $0.18 for freight and express.

August 15, 1906
Dram shop license fees of $125 were paid by the following people: Mike Govenat, Albert Hrubetz, Louis Novero, Joseph Oberto, Tony Lucas, and Matt Bertino.

September 29,1906
A special election was held to replace Trustee August Kehn who had moved out of city limits. John Roach became the new trustee.

October 3, 1906
Granitoid walks were laid and brick crossings were laid on Main Street in front of Matt Bertino's saloon.

December 5, 1906

The city minutes referred to an area of Maryville as "Chinatown."

The origin of the name "Chinatown:" One bright, Sunday morning, two coal company officials strolled along the property where 17 company houses for miners and three others for executives had been constructed. Most of the miners had not yet brought in their families and because they worked six days a week, they washed their clothes on their only day off. Emil L. Donk, official in charge of mining operations, gadded at the pit clothes and other articles hanging from clotheslines, yard after yard. He turned to Herman C. Perry, superintendent, and said " All these clothes lines remind me of a Chinese laundry. We ought to call this place "Chinatown." The name stuck even though Maryville never had a single Chinese resident. The records of Collinsville Township Assessor Ardell H. Smiley show that the property is listed as Donk Brothers Chinatown Addition. (To find the location of these company houses, travel east of Main Street past the railroad tracks. Turn left onto Parkview Drive and travel northeast to the end of the drive. This was the original "Chinatown.")

April 17, 1907
The election results were as follows: Ben Jones as president of board, Fred Lange Jr. as village clerk, Harry Joiner as police magistrate, and John McCulloch, Harry Westbrook, and August Kehn as trustees. Additional trustees were John Roach, John Desper, and H. Holtgroeve.

July 7, 1909
New fire equipment was purchased. Hose was bought from Capan Betting Company at $0.80 per foot. They received $292.50 for the old engine and exchanged for a gasoline engine which cost $682.50. This engine was a Chemical 343. (? not sure if I understood these notes correctly, see pages 72, 73, and 75 of 1908-1912 minutes)

1909
Forty-four percent of the year's budget came from 11 saloons, which paid an annual license fee of $500. Saloon operators were Matt Bertino, Louis Novero, Tony Lucas, Fornero and Meyer, Fred J. Neubauer, Al Hrubetz, Joe Qualatto, Mike Govenat (for a very short period of time), Joe Oberto, Vallino and Picchioldi, and Jim Barbero. During the second term of Mayor Ben Jones, the village purchased additional fire equipment (45-gallon manual engine for $350 and one gasoline-powered engine for $682.50 plus the trade-in of the old engine). Since the Fire Department was located in a hollow and the firefighters had to pull the engines up to travel in any direction, Mayor Jones and Mer Neubauer, who was the fire chief and village treasurer, persuaded the Donks to purchase a lot for $150 to build a new hall. J.C. McLanahan of Collinsville was paid $137 to move the hall to the new site. This site was located at the northeast corner of Zupan and Donk streets. Across form the new site lived William H. Holtgroeve who furnished horses to pull the fire equipment to fires. Firefighters were paid $1 for each alarm that they answered.

The Holtgroeve's ran a grocery store in what is now an empty lot at the corner of Main and Donk streets (adjacent to the last post office). Later they moved this store across the corner to the brick building, which now houses a printing shop. They also kept a warehouse, which is now the location of the carpet store.

Joe Oberto's saloon was on Donk Street across from the old post office, which now houses Aces. Barbero's saloon was also located on Donk Street on the southwest intersection with East Main Street. Today it is an empty lot.

1909
Motion picture shows were first offered by Louis Novero on Main Street in what is now a heating and air conditioning store. They paid a $1 fee per night to the village. This fee was lowered to $0.50 per night the following year. The children nicknamed the movie theater "Louis state" as a joke as the theater had only boards to sit on, not plush accommodations as one would expect by something being named "state theater." (In St. Louis there were two plush hotels, the Ambassador and the Lowe's, which is what the children were using for comparison of this little theater.)

1910
Census showed a population of 729 people. Chris Schroeder of Glen Carbon served Maryville customers two or three times a week with a wagon load of fresh meat. He later opened a meat shop on Donk Street. His meat cutter was his son Edward Schroeder who was a lifelong resident of Glen Carbon. He also supplied the jail and Madison County home with food.

November 22, 1910
A 30-year franchise was awarded to the Collinsville Electric Power Company to provide electric streetlights. The monthly bill for 27 lights was $54.

1910
Production of coal at Donk's No. 2 reached 373,900 tons worth $323,885. Tonnage ranked 23rd among the 886 Illinois pits. Maryville employed 467 men, working 166 days; Consolidated employed 371 for 185 days; and Lumaghi No. 2, 362 for 211 days.

1910
John Bosomworth proposed the acquisition of property for a public park and Mayor Jones named trustees Richard Lucas, Bosomworth, and Joseph Oberto on a committee along with non-board member J.M. Varner to study the issue. The mayor and Mr. Lucas conferred with the Donks to pay $388.35 to purchase land for a public park. This land was located in the northwest part of the village on the car line. The name of this park was Buffalo Park. It was a favorite place for the people of St. Louis to come and picnic to escape the heat of the city. Joe Zajcek operated refreshment stands and a dance hall in the park. They also kept the place looking especially nice by planting beautiful flowers. On Saturday nights, admission was charged and bands were hired for dancing. This dance hall is now the Knights of Columbus hall. Children used to go there and look for arrowheads and money. Mary Bibko remembers her brother collecting baskets full of arrowheads.

1911
A special census was taken to organize a school district. The Maryville School District was No. 136. The Village population was 799 with an additional 155 located outside of village limits. Albert Hrubetz served as mayor until 1913. Too much coal had been removed from the mines, and mine subsidence occurred on the property of T.W. Lange. Donk purchased the land. Parcels of land were purchased west of Route 159 and these areas became additions to the Village of Maryville. Some of the first people to build homes here were Ted Lange, William Witte, Charles James, Frank Reznicek, Ronnie Sands, George Roach, Fred Schuerbaum, and George McCreaken.

1912
The streetcar company erected a waiting room and express office, and installed a potbellied stove at the intersection of present Route 159 and Main Street. An elevated platform was also built for loading and unloading of goods. This was in request from then Mayor Albert Hrubetz and from Fred Kurtz . The socialist party won the election this year, putting William Katilus, Gus Kessler, and E.O. Wallace into office. The people's party retained John Roach as police magistrate. Al Hrubetz also owned a building, which is now the Fireside Inn on the corner of Center and Main streets. The saloon, which he ran, was downstairs along with a barber shop located in the rear of the building. For a short period of time, a butcher by the name of Evanko ran a butcher shop there also. The upstairs housed a movie theater, which was run by J. Capplino, and a dance floor, which was run by Joe Qualetto. There is a picture of this building at Maryville Manor. The saloon opened onto what is now Route 159, and the barbershop faced east, which was entered through the alley via some stairs.

1912
Ben Elsbecknear ran a tomato canning factory with 12 employees at what is now the Route 159 overpass located just north of Creative Beginnings. The railroad tracks serving the mine ran through here. Men earned $1 per day shoveling wheat at a grain elevator just off Main Street, opposite the mine. A cigar factory had the rare distinction of employing a "woman roller of Stein's Cheroots" (?). (I can't find anyone that remembers these places!) Shoe repair shops were operated by William Bulan and John Vallino. Dr. Jesse Goldberg was the first doctor; followed by Drs. J. Mangum, Charles Phipps, and W.E. Range. Dr. Range had an office on East Main Street next to what is now Lyle's tavern. The first dentist was Dr. Jacob Zercher who had a practice in St. Louis, although he lived in Maryville.

1913
Ben Jones served as mayor again, this time until 1915.

July 17, 1914
Miss Priscilla M. Lucas became Maryville's second postmistress following Mabb's term of 11 1/2 years at that position. This office was moved to the Neubauer building, which later housed the village's only bowling alley, near Main and Donk streets. The Neubauer building also served as a saloon. This building, which was one block east of the current Fireside Inn, was torn down and a house now stands in its place.

1915
Coal employees totaled 555 and continued to increase through World War I. Mike Daly, the first village clerk, received national acclaim from miners for patenting printed tickets in a booklet form to replace metal discs which had been used to credit loaded cars to the proper miner. F.J. Neubauer served as mayor until 1918.

1915
The frame school house, which was located just east of the railroad tracks and north of East Main Street, burned down and classes were conducted temporarily in the Methodist church. This church was located just west of the school, yet east of the railroad tracks located on East Main Street. Laura Johnson was the teacher. Unfortunately, this building also burned down. (year ?) The next school site located on Donk Avenue was called Maryville School. This is the present site of Maryville's Fire Department.

November 4, 1916
Anton Tamulonis, 42, who worked as a butcher in Maryville and also ran a peddler's wagon to St. Louis, was killed in a mining accident as he was inquiring about returning to work in the mines. He was assisting Sam Venot in loading coal when the coal fell down and crushed Mr. Tamulonis. He left behind a wife and two children.

1916
Maryville built a new Village Hall and Fire Department, located at the intersection of Donk and Zupan streets. The old frame firehouse remained behind the new brick structure, serving as a storage area. The contractor agreed to build this firehouse for $4,500 if they also received the contract to build the new school. A public school building was built in only four months, which contained 13 classrooms, two of which were portable. This building known as Maryville East School was torn down in 1993 and replaced with the current fire station. Mr. William Sliva was the first principal at this school, followed by Mr. Anthony, who the children nicknamed "doebelly."

1918
Ben Jones served as mayor for the third time, until 1919.

1919
Nelson .R. Kinder served as mayor for one year. Anton Leone opened a grocery store in what is now the Antique Mall. Prior to purchasing this store, he ran a bakery on Donk Street.

The miners formed their own saloon; it was called Club Saloon.

1919 - 1933
Prohibition existed. During this period, illegal stills were very common.

Matt Bertino who had previously (see 1909) owned a saloon, made white mule, which was homemade whiskey. Unfortunately, both he and his wife and a worker were killed in an explosion while making the white mule. They left behind six children, Jim, Mike, Matt, Jenny, Lily, and Irene.

Prior to 1920
Max Edelstein owned a general store on Main Street before the Cohen's. He had three children named Sarah, Abie, and Gerdi.

November 9, 1920
Miss Sarah Cohen, who later became Mrs. Sarah Katz of St. Louis, served as Maryville's third postmistress. The post office was located in her father's general store (Cohen's), which was located on Main and Lange streets. James Donovan served as mayor for the next nine years. The Picchioldis' opened a confectionery, which also later served as the post office, next to Leone's store on Center Street.

January 1923
A deadly flu swept through the region. Mary Bibko's parents both died, 55 minutes apart. Their pallbearer also died the following week. Mary, at the age of 17, was left to raise five younger brothers and sisters, with the youngest being only 3 1/2 years old. To support the family she worked at Mr. Morris' cooperative store. This store was located on Main and Donk streets and it sold groceries, hardware, and material.

1924
Donks closed the mine when operational costs soared due to the distance between the shaft and the diggings. Their closure was also influenced by a suit by workers of Madison Coal company, an operator of mines in Glen Carbon, charging that the Maryville mine had extended operations into its territory. Before the Donks closed their mine, they were able to exploit the workers during the depression. Since the demand for work was so high they were able to reduce the wages from $0.40 per hour to $0.32 per hour and this was for long days and a six-day work week.

1926
Maryville adopted a new industry - baseball. Distraught about the financial situation of their new city and determined not to tax citizens in compensation, Maryville's elected officers looked to alternate means of raising funds. Young men of the village began to seek careers in professional baseball. C.W.F. Lange, founder of Maryville, died at the age of 84.

1928
The Edward R. Diemling family of Troy purchased 15.5 acres of land in Maryville, which is the current site of Maryville's administration building, police station, park, and soccer fields. At first, they farmed the land and raised cattle and hogs. The Diemling family built their two-story home at a sizeable sum of $8,000 - $10,000, which is now the city's administrative building. The family occupied this home until 1946. Edward Diemling served as Madison County's sheriff during this time. During prohibition, the bootleggers would throw payback money into a window located at the south side of their house. This money allowed the sheriff to turn the other way while they sold liquor. Mike Semanism tells a story about how when he was a young lad of about 18 years of age, he and his brother rented a bar from Louis Novero on the corner of Main and Lange streets. One day, Mr. Diemling came in and ordered a shot and a beer. Scared of being arrested, Mike denied selling any alcoholic beverages. After the fourth request, Mr. Diemling became agitated and demanded to be served. Mike relented and Mr. Diemling bought drinks for everyone, bringing his bar tab to about $21.

1928
George Govenat became Maryville's first professional baseball player when he joined the Tyler, Texas, team. He pitched a perfect baseball game. No one even made it to first base!

1929
Rudy Hrubetz served as mayor until 1931.

1930s
Pleasant Ridge School closes during the depression. The official language of St. John's Lutheran church changes from German to English.

1931
Herman Gronemeyer became mayor until 1935. Vernon Lucas formed the Southwestern Illinois Inter-City Baseball League. This was formed in an effort to assemble eight teams from the five surrounding communities. Over 100 players graduated from this league into minor and major leagues. Those graduating into minor leagues were: Mike Semanism, John Brussatti, John Drost, George Govenat, Walter Schuerbaum, Lloyd Zarr, Joe Ganero, Al Krupski, and Bobby Heller. The major league graduates were: John "Buster" Lucas (Boston Red Sox), Dwayne Sloat (Brooklyn Dodgers and Chicago Cubs), Bob Boken (Washington Senators), and Ken Oberkfell (St. Louis Cardinals, Atlanta Braves, Pittsburgh Pirates, San Francisco Giants, Houston Astros, and California Angels).

November 7, 1933
Anton Leone of the Leone Store on Center Street became Maryville's fourth postmaster. The post office was located adjacent to the store. He retired in February 29, 1968, after 34 years of service.

1935
Lawrence Noascono served as mayor for the next 10 years.

1936
The Picchioldis' opened the Maryville Garage and a Shell gas station on Center Street. A one-room rural schoolhouse in Pleasant Ridge opened. This is located just north of West Main Street on Keebler near the lake. Cecilia Daman was the first teacher, Betty Taber was the second and the last. The school served 1st- through 8th-grade students with the average number of students being 20. This school closed when Maryville consolidated with Unit 10 in 1951.

Easter 1938
The first mass of Our Mother of Perpetual Help Mission was celebrated by Monsignor B.N. Manning of Collinsville. They met in a renovated movie theater. (See 1909; this building is currently a heating and air conditioning store on East Main Street.) This building has also served as a blacksmith shop and before that, a movie theater.

1939
Electricity was added to St. John's Lutheran church.

1945
Mike Semanisin served as mayor until 1949.

December 1946
The parishioners of Our Mother of Perpetual Help purchased land to build a church.

1946 - 1948
A family from Granite City purchased the Diemling home and donated it to the Assembly of God Churches of Illinois. It served as a children's home mainly for those who could not care for their children. The American Legion Hall was built on Center Street behind the Fireside Inn.

1949
Frank Elliott became mayor and Frank Vallino became village clerk.

Spring 1950
Reverend William J. Hamilton was appointed first pastor of Mother of Perpetual Help Parish. September 17, 1950, the temporary chapel of Mother of Perpetual Help was completed and a permanent structure was planned.

July 1951
Collinsville Unit No. 10 was formed with the union of the high school and Maryville.

August 30, 1951
Moving of the blessed sacrament occurred (Mother of Perpetual Help).

August 31, 1951
The parishioners of Mother of Perpetual Help celebrated their first mass in their new, permanent building.

1953
John Drost served as mayor until 1966.

1954
The old Pleasant Hill Lutheran school was converted to a meeting hall. City water, a typewriter, and a movie projector were also added.

1959
St. John's Lutheran church installed a furnace. Previously only potbellied stoves were used to heat the sanctuary.

November 10, 1964
Maryville's last post office, located on Donk Street between Second and Main streets, was dedicated. At the dedication ceremony Mayor John Drost was present, along with the village trustees: John Maly, Ronald Lucas, Marvin Schwartz, Albert Ackerman, Harold Oberkfell, and Terry Pemberton. Village Clerk Frank Vallino, Treasurer Louis Nepute, Maryville Fire Department President Edward Massander, and Maryville Fire Department Chief William Elliott were also present. Ernest Picchioldi owned the building and Vernie Blackburn was the contractor. In addition to these local officials, Frank G. Sulewski, assistant to the regional director of the post office, and Illinois Senator Paul H. Douglas were present. Mike Semanism was master of ceremonies. Anton Leone served at this location for three years and three months.

October 15,1966
Ronald Lucas became mayor.

1968
The population of Maryville was approximately 850 people. The Police Department had one employee, Buster Lucas, who was also chief of police. His son, Rink Lucas, was the mayor. The city hall and police and fire departments were located in the building on the corner of Donk and Zupan streets, which was built in 1916. There was one gas station (Shell), owned by the Picchioldi's, which is now named the Maryville Garage. South of the gas station was Picchioldi's grocery store, which is now the Maryville Auto Parts store. Located south of this was another grocery store, called Leone's, which is now Maryville's Antique Mall. Maryville was mostly farmland.

Bernie Lucas was president of the Southwestern Illinois Inter-City Baseball League. Two of the teams were both from Maryville and scheduled to play against each other. Mike Semanism was the coach of one of the 10 teams that had several high school boys instead of the usual postgraduates. Huevero of the St. Louis Cardinals was invited to come over and throw out the first pitch and the Collinsville High School band played. Mike's team won the first game and the other team won the second game 5-3. A lot of townspeople came out for the game and over $200 profit was made that evening.

February 29, 1968
Frank Vallino was named acting postmaster (Maryville's fifth).

1969 - 1970
Illinois Power building was built by Gene Sternberg Construction Co.

1970s
Frank Cobetto owned a restaurant / diner, which was a very popular place to eat. This was L-A's convenient store up until 1996 when a pool supply opened. The Assembly of God Churches of Illinois Children's home was purchased by the State of Illinois, to serve as offices for the Department of Children and Family services.

1970
The Borri subdivision was started. This is Bauer Lane. Approximately 100 acres of ground was owned by Steve Andrews of Hollywood Andrews Studio located in Granite City. He sold the property to Jack Bauer. This was one of the first subdivisions located in the Village of Maryville.

March 20, 1971
Frank Vallino was confirmed postmaster.

1971
Maryville West school opened, which is now the current and only school in Maryville.

1972 - 1975
Assembly of God Church was built by Frank Mattea. He was a contractor and pastor of this church.

1973
Maryville's population was approximately 1,700.

1974
Judy Puryear became postmaster.

1975
The Village of Maryville began leasing what is their current administration building from the State of Illinois. They also leased the adjacent brick ranch home.

1976
Maryville pharmacy was opened by pharmacist Gary Ceretto.

1977
Anderson Hospital was opened. 

Late 1970s
Nottingham Estates was purchased. Approximately 160 acres were purchased by Ed Moore and Joe Arnold from Sam Pershall. Sam owned the Tri-City grocery store chain. The property sold for $360,000. Ed Moore developed and built homes in this subdivision.

1980
Kurt Mueller opened Kurt's Auto Body Shop in what is now the Village bakery.

1981 - 1983
Ken Oberkfell was a major league baseball player (1977 to 1992) who lived and grew up in Maryville. He built a home and lived with his family off of Route 162.

1984
Family Fun Tyme opened by Bill Schiber.

May 1, 1985
The Mayor Richard Konsky era begins on May 1, 1985.

June - July 1985
Kurt Mueller moved his autobody shop to its present location behind Bobby's. Keith Hill opened the Village Bake shop in its present location. Margaret Nearing was the manager.

1985
Ordinance for relocation and improvements on West Main Street water line. The Village elects to participate in Medicare program for ambulance calls. Village Hall roof was repaired by Stimson Construction for $20,338. Construction of a pavilion at John Drost Park.
 
1985 - 1986
The CAT SCAN unit was the first addition to Oliver Anderson Hospital. The State Police Headquarters, located at the current Illinois Department of Transportation Maintenance garage located on Route 159, just north of Interstate 55, was demolished due to mine subsidence.

1986
The Village of Maryville was able to purchase the 15.5 acres and buildings that originally belonged to the Diemling family for $1 from the State of Illinois.

August 2, 1986
A $9,000 donation received from Collinsville Township for improvements to John Drost Park.

January 21, 1987
Contract for special census entered into with the Census Bureau.

April 15, 1987
Mayor Konsky forms Blue Ribbon Commission.

May 6, 1987
Bid of $4,000 from Mike Copeland was accepted for the sale of the 1965 Seagraves fire truck.

May 20, 1987
A portion of Troy's water lines were transferred to Maryville.

June 17, 1987
Raffles were regulated by ordinance within the Village.

August 5, 1987
A donation from DEMCO for $200 was accepted for the Park Fund.

September 2, 1987
Special census began on September 9, 1987. 

October 7, 1987
Position of public works director created.

All employees enrolled in Social Security effective October 7, 1987.

November 18, 1987
Ordinance providing for and adopting Social Security coverage adopted as well as IMRF.

December 9, 1987
A 1987 Ford Econoline ambulance purchased for $35,000.

December 16, 1987
A purchase order procurement system for purchasing Village supplies was implemented.

May 4, 1988
Refinanced bonds for the water plant.

August 17, 1988
Hotel / motel tax passed.

October 5, 1988
Bids for water line replacement along West Country Lane opened and accepted - Contractor D & K Backhoe.

December 21, 1988
Purchased land east of senior center (77 acres in Drost Park) for $70,000.

March 1, 1989
Water lines along Route 157 to Keebler upgraded from 8 inches to 14 inches by M & I Construction for $120,167.50.

1989
Bob and Debbie Kozyak of Sugar Loaf Estates opened Bobby's Frozen Custard. He previously sold produce on a stand on the property. Horace and June Parker purchased the buildings which are now collectively called the Antique Mall. The most northern building consisted of a storefront, living quarters, and a back porch. The ceilings are made of pressed tin that date this building back to the late 1800s. The next building south was Leone's grocery store and that dates back to 1919 when Anton Leone purchased it. The next building south was built in 1989 by the Kozyaks as a means to connect the southernmost building, which was a house, to the rest of the store. This house served as the Leones' house in the late 1920s. In addition, there was a four-car garage out back. In 1960, another store was built behind these buildings.

July 19, 1989
Purchased 22 acres for the Village of Maryville for public purposes.

October 18, 1989
Township Trustee Joe Semanisin presented a $5,000 check to the Ambulance Fund and $2,500 for the park pavilion.

December 6, 1989
Tax levy approved for park property purchase.

1990
State Farm building was built. This area had been considered for Union 76 truck stop, which is now located at Troy.

April 21, 1990
Utility (Electricity) Tax passed. Water line on Keebler replaced for $36,455.

August 30, 1990
Purchased $12,000 worth of playground equipment via Illinois Department of Conservation Grant.

Purchased $12,374 worth of parts for water plant control panel, water tower control panel, and spare parts.

September 5, 1990
Special Service Area No. 1 created (for sewers for Patty and Anthony drives).

December 5, 1990
Community Development Sketch Plan approved for $12,000.

1991
Pete, a famous horse who even had his picture in the St. Louis Post Dispatch, died at the ripe old age of 37. He was owned by Bob and Ruth Paskero.

January 2, 1991
SW Electric presents check for $500 to the Village for economic development or community development.

January 16, 1991
Accepted D & K Backhoe's bid of $289,593 for Northeast Sanitary Sewer Extension (NESSE) project. Sanitary sewers for most of the Schiber Court Industrial Park and surrounding areas.

February 20, 1991
Resolution adopted to codify all ordinances to be done by the Illinois Codification Service.

July 3, 1991
Business registrations now required by ordinance.

October 16, 1991
Bids received for renovation of the Police Station and Village Hall.

December 2, 1991
Maryville Manor was opened. The owners live in Galesburg (RFMS Inc. Residential Facility Management Services).

January 2, 1992
Established Laidlaw as exclusive method of trash removal in Maryville.

September 2, 1992
Route 162 (to Lakeview Acres Road) 8-inch waterline project started, bid went to D & K Backhoe for $46,622.

November 18, 1992
Ordinance to authorize issuance of waterworks and sewerage bonds NTE $2 million dollars.

December 2, 1992
New Ambulance purchased for $34,966.

January 20, 1993
Community Development Sketch Plan adopted.

February 3, 1993
General Obligation Bonds (Waterworks and Sewerage, Alternate Rev Source) authorized for $1,860,000 (Series 1993 Bonds).

April 7, 1993
Traffic signal improvement at junction of Route 159 and Vadalabene.

May 5, 1993
Schoolhouse Trail Intergovernmental Agreement authorized.

1993
Maryville East School was demolished and construction of Maryville's new fire department was started. This new station was built in memory of firefighters Pete Vallino and Al Hrubretz, who died in the line of duty. The Woman's Pavilion, Pharmacy, and Anderson medical buildings became the second addition to Anderson Hospital. In April 1993, Patricia Smith became Maryville's postmaster. Alfonzo's, after suffering two earlier fires when located at the intersection of Route 159 and Valdalbene, moved to its present location, next to Family Fun Tyme.

Overall, Mayor Konsky's regime was known for getting the Village out of debt (many yearly anticipation warrants were issued) through an effort of fiscal responsibility and controls.

The Mayor Konsky era ended on April 30, 1993.

(back to top)

The Village of Maryville