Click to Home
Go To Search
 

View Other Items in this Archive | View All Archives | Printable Version

Log of Council Chamber on 2/9/2011

Village of Maryville, Illinois

Description Caucus Meeting
Date 2/9/2011 Location Council Chamber
Time Speaker Note
6:30:01 PM Gulledge Called the Caucus meeting of Wednesday, February 9, 2011 to order and invited those in attendance to join in the Pledge of Allegiance. After the Pledge, asked for a roll of those officers present. Answering the roll call were Trustees Vallino, Schmidt, Kostyshock, Garcia and Short; Bell arrived late. Also in attendance were Attorney Motil, Clerk Fenton, and Police Chief Schardan.
6:30:53 PM Gulledge Called for approval of the January 26th meeting minutes. Asked if there were any questions, additions or subtractions to the minutes as prepared by the Clerk. There were none. Motion to approve was made by Schmidt and seconded by Kostyshock. Voting on the motion: Vallino - yes; Schmidt - yes; Kostyshock - yes; Garcia - yes; Short - yes. Motion carried.
6:31:31 PM Gulledge Went to Police Department purchases and asked Chief Schardan to discuss.
6:31:44 PM Schardan Referred to the purchase of body armor. Explained the equipment has a five year life span, and he has five that need to be replaced. Explained they will order the vests and apply for 50% reimbursement through a grant.
6:33:00 PM Gulledge Confirmed the purchase is $3,250 for five vests from Leon.
6:33:21 PM Vallino Asked what happens to the old vests.
6:33:29 PM Schardan Responded they have used them at the shooting range in the past. Stated there is also a program for donation to other municipalities that cannot afford new. Discussion ensued.
6:34:22 PM Gulledge Commented his opinion they should be donated with a signed statement releasing the Village from liability. All were in favor.
6:38:08 PM Schardan Went to next request, purchase of mobile radios. Explained they only need four more and the company will match the price from October. Stated the total cost is $12,513 including programming and installation.
6:39:48 PM Short Asked if there is a time line for the purchase i.e., how long will it be for the radios to come in.
6:40:01 PM Schardan Responded approximately one month.
6:40:13 PM Gulledge Polled the Board. All were in favor.
6:40:27 PM Schardan Stated the transmission went out on unit #154. Stated the cost to repair will be $2,400 to $2,800 and the car is not worth near that amount. Stated the tires are relatively new, so they will swap them to a car that needs tires. Explained the plan is to take whatever else they can off the car and scrap the vehicle.
6:42:08 PM Schardan Explained they are applying for a vehicle State grant for $20,000 which they are trying to get finished before the new vehicles come in.
6:42:37 PM Short Asked what type of vehicle is specified in the grant. Schardan responded there is nothing specific.
6:43:05 PM Bell Arrived and was seated.
6:43:53 PM Gulledge Commented the Deputy Chief has already used his uniform allowance for fiscal 2010. Explained he authorized him to use next year's allowance to get a new uniform.
6:44:41 PM Schmidt Asked how many miles were on the Chief's vehicle. He was told approximately 58,000. Schmidt asked if there were problems with the vehicle. He was told there has always been an issue with the batteries, which need to be replaced frequently. Discussion ensued.
6:48:05 PM Gulledge Went to next item, Heritage Museum purchase.
6:48:16 PM Kostyshock Explained to date they have spent $3,000 for equipment. This request is for $1,000 for filing cabinets and office equipment. Commented they are staying close to their budget. Explained they have a budget surplus due to the tuck pointing project coming in so low. Stated Henry informed him there is $30,000 left in the budget.
6:50:11 PM Schmidt Stated the budget allocated $1,750 in the office supplies budget, $1,600 in furniture and miscellaneous expenses of $900.
6:50:48 PM Gulledge Suggested they put the item on the Board meeting agenda and in the mean time he will find out exact figures from the budget.
6:54:17 PM Motil Stated his firm has some cabinets that they may be able to donate.
6:56:04 PM Gulledge Went to next item, RJN Group proposal. Explained this has been done for a number of years, and Maryville belongs to the consortium. Explained they do the storm water management for Madison County. Stated the cost is $1,500.
6:57:26 PM Gulledge Went to next item, Change Order #12 to Plocher Construction.
6:57:33 PM Kostyshock Stated last week the engineers found 3 to 4 items they need to fix at the plant. Explained this is one of the changes in the amount of $2,767.98. Went to next item, Pay App #9 in the amount of $81,375.47 which is the last payment to Plocher for the tower and plant projects. Commented they did a good job.
6:58:39 PM Short Asked regarding the change order notation that the drawings were inaccurate, who made the drawings.
6:59:00 PM Gulledge Explained the drawings were the originals from over thirty years ago. Stated when they excavated, the piping was different than the original drawings. Upon discovering the discrepancies, the drawings were corrected.
7:01:25 PM Kostyshock Went to next item, purchase of water plant well #3 motor in the amount of $1,850. Explained normally motors last six to ten years and this one went out at six years.
7:01:52 PM Gulledge Commented all pumps are purchased from Brotke. Explained they always keep an extra on hand for a back up and this purchase is for the extra back-up pump.
7:02:39 PM Kostyshock Went to next item, purchase of compressor for $2,034. Explained it will be used for maintenance and will save time and money.
7:04:09 PM Gulledge Went to next item, draft engineering agreement for East Main Street project. Explained a few years ago they had to get East Main an STP rating so as to qualify for funding. Explained they are currently in line to apply for $1 million in funding to fix the first 1,500 feet from Lange Street to almost the entrance to the winery. Explained they are hoping to go back in a couple of years for the next section which will take them just past the cemetery. Explained the project will have to be done in three phases. Stated if all goes well, the Village will only be responsible for easement acquisition and engineering fees. Explained this is a standard IDOT agreement.
7:12:41 PM Gulledge Went to next item, revision of sign ordinance to comply with State Statute regarding political signs. Stated Motil has drafted an amending ordinance.
7:13:08 PM Schmidt Explained the Village can no longer regulate the duration of political signs placed on residential property; however they can regulate size. Further stated they can regulate the duration of signs erected on public right-of-way. Discussion ensued as to size regulation. Motil commented the regulation has to be reasonable. It was decided a reasonable size is 8 square feet, and no higher than five feet off the ground. Attorney was instructed to make appropriate changes to the drafted ordinance.
7:47:01 PM Gulledge Went to Calendar Updates. Events were discussed.
7:47:41 PM Gulledge Went to Public Input. There was none. Went to To Do list. Commented the ISO inspection was rescheduled to Tuesday, February 15th.
7:49:18 PM Vallino Commented he is working with Dr. Hall on dates for the rabies clinic.
7:49:32 PM Schmidt Commented at the MCIB meeting, the committee recommended changing the name of the senior building the Maryville Community Center.
7:50:02 PM Gulledge Commented when the building was first built it was a community center; however over the years it was mostly used by the senior group so it came to be known as the "senior's building". Stated comments were made at the MCIB meeting that due to the reference, people may think it is only for senior use and suggested changing the name might cause more people to use/rent the building.
7:57:08 PM Bell Commented they have received the maintenance contract renewal invoice for BusCom, which covers the audio equipment and FTR software. Stated the cost is $3,538.86. Commented regarding website development, they will need some content for a Heritage Museum page, and asked Kostyshock to contact the committee for input. Stated there is a "history of Maryville" page on the current site that he would like Henry to update for use on the new site. Commented the Department Heads need to be working on the worksheets given by Civic Plus.
8:25:17 PM Gulledge Commented on the good job done on snow removal. Commented he attended a meeting Friday regarding snow removal and O'Fallon does not remove anything less than four inches from subdivision streets. Discussion regarding snow removal on sidewalks ensued.
8:30:21 PM Short Commented the Police and Fire Board met and reviewed 72 applications for the Police Department. Stated the current eligibility list expires May 1st, and the target date for a new list to take effect is June 1st. Stated now that applications have been reviewed, orientation will be held February 19th at the community center.
8:34:30 PM Gulledge With no further business to come before the meeting, asked for a motion to adjourn. Motion was made by Bell and seconded by Vallino. Voting on the motion: Vallino - yes; Schmidt - yes; Bell -yes; Kostyshock - yes; Garcia - yes; Short - yes.
8:34:53 PM   The meeting ended.
Respectfully submitted,

Tracy Fenton, Village Clerk

Produced by FTR Log Notes™
www.ftrgold.com

 



The Village of Maryville