Click to Home
Go To Search
 

View Other Items in this Archive | View All Archives | Printable Version

Village of Maryville, Illinois

Description Caucus Meeting
Date9/12/2007 Location Council Chamber
Time Speaker Note
6:31:28 PM Gulledge Called the Caucus meeting of Wednesday, September 12, 2007 to order and invited those in attendance to join in the Pledge of Allegiance. After the Pledge, he asked for a roll of those officers present. Answering the roll call were Trustees Limberg, Schmidt, Callahan, Kostyshock and Garcia; Bell arrived late. Also in attendance were Deputy Clerk Fenton, Police Chief Schardan, Police and Fire Board Chairman Pamatot, Police Officer Kanzler, Police Officer Lange, eighteen (18) residents and two (2) reporters.
6:32:27 PM Gulledge Called for approval of the August 29, 2007 Caucus minutes. He asked if there were any questions, additions or subtractions to the minutes as prepared by the Clerk. There were none.  Motion to approve was made by Schmidt and seconded by Limberg. Voting on the motion: Limberg - yes; Schmidt - yes; Callahan - yes; Kostyshock - yes; Garcia - yes. Motion carried.
6:32:58 PM Gulledge Went to first agenda item, Swearing In of New Police Officer, Phillip Huniak, and invited Fire and Police Board Chairman Mike Pamatot to perform the ceremony.
6:33:25 PM Pamatot Commented this is the third time since the Police and Fire Board was sworn in that they have been through the process of hiring a police officer. Commented his thanks to fellow commissioners, Holly Lorsbach, Lendell Phelps and Craig Short. Commented they had over 100 applications taken out; approximately 60 were returned, which were screened down to 48; after which 35 applicants took the written test at SWIC. Commented the interest seen in the Police Department is a tribute to both the Village and Police Chief Schardan. Commented Huniak is a Granite City native and is from a police family: His father is a retired officer in Granite City, his brother is a current officer in Granite City, and his uncle is also an officer. Explained Huniak is a four-year Marine, and a recent graduate of SIU Carbondale. Performed the Swearing In ceremony, after which Huniak's father presented him with his shield. In conclusion, Pamatot thanked the Trustees for their support.
6:38:21 PM Gulledge Went to next item, Police Department Purchase of Pistols, and asked Schardan to discuss.
6:38:39 PM Schardan Stated he is requesting the purchase of two (2) Glock model 22 hand guns, one for use by the new officer and one to keep in surplus in case another pistol needs to be taken out of service.
6:39:02 PM Callahan Commented the item was discussed last week, and agrees they are needed.
6:39:09 PM Gulledge Asked for questions or comments. There were none. Asked for additional questions for the Chief. There were none. Excused Schardan from the meeting. Schardan commented his thanks for approval of both the guns and the additional officer.
6:39:29 PM Gulledge Went to next item, Pay Request #3, and asked Kostyshock, to discuss.
6:39:36 PM Kostyshock Stated Pay Request #3 is from JE Construction in the amount of $43,624.67 for Copper Creek Lift Station Improvements Contract B. Explained they are short of two parts now and should be completed next week.
6:40:02 PM Gulledge Asked for questions. There were none. Stated the item will be placed on the Board Meeting agenda.
6:40:08 PM Gulledge Went to next agenda item, the Vocational Center request regarding student ride-alongs with the Fire Department. Explained they are in receipt of correspondence from the insurance agency indicating they will insure but not fully and strongly encouraging the Village not to allow the ride- alongs. Commented his opinion is he would love to help out the school; however perhaps they could do something instead of a ride-along, like in-house training.
6:41:22 PM Callahan Commented his agreement that it is just too large a liability.
6:41:57 PM Gulledge Stated he will respond no to the request and suggest maybe setting up a training in the station. Discussion ensued. Asked for other questions or comments.
6:43:17 PM Limberg Commented his agreement to the idea of working out training with the Department. Commented $10,000 would not cover a medical bill.
6:43:46 PM Callahan Agrees to offer in-house training.
6:43:54 PM Gulledge Stated he will let the school know. Went to Calendar Updates. Commented there is a Park meeting Monday at 6:00 p.m.; a Planning Commission meeting on the 24th; September 28th is another Movie in the Park Event, at which the movie to be shown is Ghostbusters; October 6th is the Rabies Clinic.
6:45:50 PM Gulledge Went to Public Input. There was none. Went to To Do List, page 1. Commented they have added some items. Commented for the benefit of Callahan, he met with Wigginton that day and they are working on re-zoning of part of Route 159. Commented they have also added things for the engineer, as well as the Special Census.
6:46:54 PM Schmidt Suggested they add the expansion of the business zones that the Economic Development Committee has been working on.
6:47:09 PM Gulledge Stated they will put it under general category. Asked for other comments on page 1. There were none. Went to page 2. There were no comments. Went to page 3. There were no comments.
6:47:51 PM Gulledge Went to Trustees comments.
6:47:56 PM Schmidt Commented last Monday the Economic Development Committee met to wrap up the zoning classification project. Explained they are proposing expansion of a number of commercial business zones. Stated currently there are only two (2) classifications, which they are expanding to six (6). Stated he will be presenting the recommendation to the Board at the next Caucus. Stated after the Board reviews the proposal, they will send the project to the Planning Commission for review. Stated they will also be starting the review of the Comprehensive Plan; it is his hope they can get both projects done at the same time. Next, commented large trash pickup will be the week of October 22 through 26 on residents' regular scheduled trash day. Next, commented the next project the Economic Development Committee will work on is review of the sign ordinance for recommendations of any changes needed. Stated if the Board has any concerns in that area, please relay them to him.
6:51:02 PM Callahan Commented the Community Improvement Board met on Monday. Stated the group would like to purchase small "real estate" sized signs advertising improvements made by the MCIB. Stated they are getting prices and plan to spend under $200. Explained the bids received for the Welcome to Maryville signs at the entrances to town were disappointing, so the committee will be re-starting the bid process.
6:52:17 PM Bell Arrived and was seated.
6:52:21 PM Callahan Asked Fenton about the bids for the electronic message board. Fenton stated the prices ranged from $15,000 to $30,000 from two bids received; however she received a third bid the next day which was a lot better; all bids will be presented to the MCIB at the next meeting. Callahan explained the proposal to change the existing marquee sign to a two-sided electronic message board. Stated they also discussed Christmas decorations, deciding instead of ordering new, they will use the $2,000 budget amount to refurbish the existing displays and look at purchasing new at the first of the year for reduced prices. Stated pocket landscaping was discussed, for which the new proposal is for plantings at the Blue Star Marker in Firemen's Park, the corner in front of the Marker, and the strip in front of the Memorial between the sidewalk and Route 159 for an estimated cost of $2,000. Commented he does not believe this amount is in the budget, but the project is in discussion. Stated also discussed by this committee is the problem of keeping the plantings at the intersection of Routes 162 and 159 watered. Stated discussion turned to the possibility of boring under the highway to install watering systems at each of the four corners for an estimated cost of $4,000. Explained the intersections are dangerous for individuals to carry buckets to water the plantings by hand. Comments were made regarding the plantings overgrowing the sidewalk in front of the memorial; it was explained the committee plans to trim them back. Callahan stated he will have Nancy Shoup come in to make her presentation to the Board. Next, he discussed the newspaper article he distributed regarding employee health insurance plans citing normally anywhere from 2% to 40% of the individuals in the plan are not eligible. Explained his reason for bringing up the issue: In the course of casual conversation, he found out one of the employees put a family member on the Village health insurance. Stated he asked whether it was Village or employee liability; however the Trustees are unable to find out such information due to HIPA laws. Stated his comment was, how do they know the issue was handled properly, to which the response was the manager of the program made the decision. Stated his opinion is the manager should not have the right to make that decision as it is a conflict of interest. Commented his opinion is they need to hire a third party to audit employee health insurance eligibility compliance. Explained his opinion the company managing the health insurance should not be the entity monitoring eligibility, as the more people the Village adds to the insurance, the more premiums the management company collects.
7:00:36 PM Bell Commented his company has gone to an independent firm to accomplish this, requiring the employees to provide all relevant documentation.
7:00:49 PM Gulledge Commented the Village does some of the things as outlined in the article.
7:01:04 PM Callahan Commented as an elected official he has the responsibility of making sure the eligibility requirements are properly met; however he is restricted from knowing this information due to HIPA laws. Explained because of this, his opinion is they need to hire a third party to monitor the situation.
7:02:18 PM Gulledge Stated they should find out the exact Village procedure and determine if they need to add to it. Discussion ensued as to a prior discussion of a sentence in the revised policy that needed to be changed.
7:03:25 PM Callahan Commented he would argue regarding this notation, no one other than the Board should be able to determine eligibility in order to control expenses.
7:03:48 PM Gulledge Commented he does not disagree; however because it is Baugher's policy, they do have a say in who is included as they have rules and regulations to follow as well.
7:04:11 PM Callahan Commented he understands there are standardized rules; however it is the exceptions to those rules that need to be scrutinized by a third party.
7:05:50 PM Gulledge Asked Schmidt to talk with the insurance company and with Wigginton to research the issue.
7:06:08 PM Kostyshock Commented they finally got the lines removed from the poles and all are ready to be pulled. Stated they poured the curbing on Donk today. Commented most of the curbing is done with the exception of some of the intersections. Stated they are supposed to start the sidewalk on Lange tomorrow. Stated the completion date is around October 15, which he believes they will make if the weather holds.
7:06:47 PM Gulledge Went to Mayor's Comments. Stated Allied Waste is hosting an Open House at the Roxanna landfill on Friday, October 5th from 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Stated he received correspondence from Mother of Perpetual Help Church advising they will hold a Prayer and Penance for the Conversion of Mankind, 1,000 Square Rosaries October 13, 2007 from noon to 2:00 p.m. in front of the Administration Building around the Flag. Next, commented on how nice Firemen's Park looks with the elimination of the small pavilion that was recently taken down. Explained they have a pavilion acquired with a PEP grant that was going to be erected in that spot; however he plans to discuss at the Park Committee meeting the idea of using that pavilion in a different location and leaving Firemen's Park open. Explained his concern that if a second pavilion is erected and open for rental at Firemen's Park, vehicle parking will be a large issue. Explained they have discussed possibly placing the pavilion at a spot off of East Division, where they had planned to erect one anyway.
7:10:54 PM Limberg Commented a second pavilion will eat up space in the park.
7:11:00 PM Gulledge Explained it is not large, however it is bigger than the one that was taken down.
7:11:20 PM Callahan Made a suggestion to extend the existing pavilion in order to get the funnel cake stand under cover for Homecoming.
7:11:48 PM Gulledge Commented he has heard from members of the Fire Department that they believe they will be able to incorporate that stand into the existing food stand.
7:12:08 PM Gulledge With no further business to come before the meeting, asked for a motion to adjourn. Motion was made by Schmidt and seconded by Bell. Voting on the motion: Limberg - yes; Schmidt - yes; Bell - yes; Callahan - yes; Kostyshock - yes; Garcia - yes. Motion carried.
7:12:33 PM   The meeting ended.

Respectfully submitted,

Thelma Long, Village Clerk

Produced by FTR Log Notes
www.FTRGold.com


The Village of Maryville