Click to Home
Go To Search
 

View Other Items in this Archive | View All Archives | Printable Version

Village of Maryville, Illinois

Description Caucus Meeting
Date10/10/2007 Location Council Chamber
Time Speaker Note
6:30:33 PM Gulledge Called the Caucus meeting of Wednesday, October 10, 2007 to order and invited those in attendance to join in the Pledge of Allegiance. After the Pledge, he asked for a roll of those officers present. Answering the roll call were Trustees Limberg, Schmidt, Callahan, Kostyshock and Garcia; Bell was absent. Also in attendance were Village Clerk Long, Attorney Wigginton, Public Works Director Presson, Police Chief Schardan, Village Accountant James Ferris, six (6) residents and three (3) reporters.
6:31:16 PM Gulledge Called for approval of the September 26th Caucus minutes. He asked if there were any questions, additions or subtractions to the minutes as prepared by the Clerk. There were none. Motion to approve was made by Limberg and seconded by Kostyshock. Voting on the motion: Limberg - yes; Schmidt - yes; Callahan - yes; Kostyshock - yes; Garcia - yes. Motion carried.
6:31:51 PM Gulledge Went to first agenda item, Annual Audit and asked Ferris to discuss.
6:32:09 PM James Ferris 105 B King Arthur Court, Collinsville. Stated the audit is in the same format as the last three (3) years and is GASB 34 compliant. Directed the Board's attention to page 3, explaining it is new. Explained it is similar to what would be seen in an annual report for a corporation. Stated the summary states the assets exceeded liabilities by $9.4 million; and of that amount $1 million can be used to meet the Village's ongoing obligations. Commented this is lower than in the last few years. Stated the figure is close to 3 months worth of expenses, which is what is used as the guideline. Stated the summary also talks about IDOT widening the highway through the Village, for which the Village has expended $427,000 to relocate water and sewer lines affected. Stated he also mentioned the grant and explained in detail in Footnote 4 that this is a road improvement of infrastructure to accommodate future housing and development in the community. Explained they don't want detailed information; only a general overview. Went to pages 4, 5 and 6, and explained this is basic information and not much has changed. Explained page 5 shows net assets, including government activities and business activities. Explained governmental activities are the General Funds such as Fire, Police, Special Service Areas; the business activities mainly revolve around Water and Sewer such as the water softener and bond and interest fund. Went to page 6 which gives a detail of the change in net assets showing the revenues and expenditures for the year ending April 30, 2007. Went to page 7 which shows the Village invested $10.5 million in capital assets net of depreciation. Stated this includes the Police and Fire Departments, which was never shown on the financial statement before GASB 34. Explained the only assets held before April 2004 were through water and sewer. Stated when GASB 34 was enacted, the Village was required to start accumulating and tracking some items for the other funds. Explained the only funds that have assets are Police, Fire, Motor Fuel, and the General Fund. Went to page 8, explaining this is where the actual financial statement starts. Explained it shows cash, goes through capital assets, liabilities and the net asset amount broken out between government activities and business activities. Went to page 9, which is a statement of activities compared to for-profit entities. Explained this shows expenses, charges for services, any grants; and below is shown governmental type revenue, which is mainly taxes. Explained it looks as if expenses exceeded program revenues for the primary government; however no income is included in that statement. Stated the only figures included are what are considered charges for services. Stated in the old statements, they would have only shown the business type activities which includes water and sewer. Explained they are trying to show how it compares to a true for-profit type statement. Explained mainly it is for bonding and geared more toward big cities. Stated it is not bad, but can be confusing. Went to page 10 through 14, which are the same statements as before. Explained it shows the General Fund, Fire Protection Fund, Police Department, Motor Fuel Tax, Road Construction; Other Governmental Funds are lumped in one column. Explained it shows cash and liabilities; there are no fixed assets in this section. Explained it is similar to two sets of financial statements; one that is trying to compare as closely as possible to a for-profit entity, and a true governmental. Explained this statement always ties back to the statements before. Went to page 11 which shows revenue and expenditures. Stated everything is okay.  The funds that cannot exist on their own are fire and police because there is no way to tax enough to pay for these services; therefore the General Fund must use its funds to augment the expenses. Explained other funds are able to break even or even have a slight excess at the end of the year. Went to page 12 which shows the proprietary fund which is water and sewer. Stated this is the same as the old statement. Went to page 13, the income statement of water and sewer, which is the same as before. Went to page 14 showing cash flow which breaks down the cash received, how it went out, and the difference between cash and end. Stated it does not take into account depreciation or anything not paid or received during the year. Went to pages 15 and 16 which are new, as they had to separate the Police and Fire Pension. Explained that is not an asset of the Village, it simply shows what is there. Explained pages 17 through 27 are footnotes which explains operations and shows more detail of capital assets as well as long term debt and a detail of bond issues. Stated it also shows the IMRF Fund, which is provided directly by IMRF every year. Went to page 28 which is a comparison of budget to actual for General and Major funds. Stated pages 29 and 30 shows non-major funds, such as Social Security, IMRF, Recreation, Hotel Use Tax, Public Comfort, NESSE (although it is gone), SSA #1, and SSA #3. Stated anything with less than 10% of total assets and less than 5% of total revenue combined, becomes a non-major fund. Stated page 31 shows the detail of the tax rate and levy back to 1995. Stated it also shows the levy for each item and what the levy collection should be. Stated page 32 shows the legal debt margin; the Village is no where near over the margin. Stated page 33 shows the detail of the customer usage for water and the number of gallons used back to 1999. Commented water and sewer is driving the cash flow for the Village. Explained the next two pages are an opinion on internal control which is standard.
6:48:46 PM Gulledge Asked for any questions.
6:48:49 PM Schmidt Asked Ferris' overall consensus.
6:48:52 PM Ferris Stated he is slightly concerned regarding how the Village has been tracking. Commented the cash in the mid-part of the decade was good. Explained he looks at the General Fund and Water and Sewer. Stated in 2004 the General Fund had $745,000 in cash; in 2005 it went down to $384,000; in 2006 it went up to $820,000; and in 2007 it is $627,000. Commented it can fluctuate, and he realizes the Village has had a lot of large expenses; however he wants the Board to realize it seems to be trending down, which shouldn't happen. Explained because the Village is growing, they should try to accumulate more cash due to more expenses being generated. Stated Water and Sewer has really taken a big dip in the last two (2) years. Stated they need to realize he does not include any reserve cash: In 2000 the cash was $768,000; in 2001 it went to $707,000; then it started climbing up when the rates were increased and went to $916,000; then $994,000; then in 2004 it peaked at just over $1 million, which is not a lot when considering the major expenses in this area; then in 2005 it started going down to $884,000; in 2006 it really went down to $446,000; and this year it is a little over $100,000. Explained he simply wants the Board to realize the cash is starting to diminish in Water and Sewer. Commented the General Fund can help out Water and Sewer if needed; however they may want to address the issue. Explained it has gone down fairly quickly: In a four year span it went from $1 million to $100,000. Commented his understanding there are a lot of expenses in this category. Commented they have to make bond payments through the Water fund as well.
6:52:58 PM Gulledge Offered an explanation: They have had an abnormal amount of expenses in the Water and Sewer Department, mainly $450,000 to move water and sewer lines. Stated the Village paid for that and did not borrow money. Explained they realize there are some problems, and have been trying to address them. Stated they have been working on a water and sewer rate study and will look at raising rates. Explained the price of sewer is dictated by Collinsville, and the costs have skyrocketed. Explained the Board discussed this generally approximately one year ago; at the time the Board felt it was best not to raise rates. Explained on November 14th the Public Works Committee will present a case to the Board to strongly consider an increase. Commented it has been a long time since they have raised water rates. Commented they have accomplished a lot of capital improvements with sewer lines and lift stations. Stated the last bill they have is for the Copper Creek lift station at approximately $40,000, after which they do not foresee any large projects in the near future until they are ready for the water storage and plant expansion projects. Stated he appreciates Ferris' comments. Commented some communities borrow more readily than this Board. Asked for other questions. There were none. Thanked Ferris for attending.
6:57:56 PM Gulledge Went to next Agenda item, Buscom Service Contract. Explained Bell is not in attendance as he was called out of town; he asked that the item be tabled for now, as he is working with the Buscom people. Went to next Agenda item, and asked Schardan to discuss the Justice Assistance Grant and other police business.
6:58:39 PM Schardan Explained the JAG grant. Stated he received an e-mail from the Criminal Justice Authority. Explained it is a 75% federal funded grant for use on vehicles or in-car cameras. Explained the trick is to show why the community can't afford to pay for them. Stated the cameras currently in four of the cars are over seven years old and run off a VHS system. Stated the new DVD systems that have been put in three of the cars are now on State bid. Stated they will apply for four systems to replace the Mobile-Vision cameras. Stated it should cost approximately $5,000 at a 25% match. Stated he must have the proposal in by October 26th.
7:00:09 PM Callahan Commented they discussed the issue today and he is in favor. Clarified this would probably not happen in this budget year.
7:00:49 PM Schardan Commented he is not sure when the grant will be approved; however there is money in the equipment budget. Explained there are items for which he budgeted that he would rather use for this purchase.
7:01:13 PM Callahan Commented the cameras are important in terms of liability and protection of both officers and residents.
7:02:01 PM Gulledge Agrees. Commented he is a big proponent of this issue, as they had an incident a few years ago where the cameras served their purpose. Asked for questions or comments. Commented application does not ensure they will receive the grant. All were in favor of placing the item on the agenda. Went to next item, PSIC Grant and asked Schardan to discuss.
7:03:27 PM Schardan Explained this is the Public Safety Inter-Operatability Communications Grant, which is a federal grant. Explained over $968 million was offered nationally. Stated it is a one-time funding source. Explained the State got $36.2 million, of which $10 million was designated for Southern Illinois. Explained the federal government is trying to get all radio frequencies in the 700/800 bands for inter-operability of public safety in case of regional disaster. Explained they will be required to comply eventually; this grant gives an opportunity for the Federal Government to pay 80% of the cost. Stated he has discussed the issue with Schmidt, Callahan and Gulledge. Stated he was advised they will be able to use the access fees for the radio system as the 20% match. Stated it is called an in-kind match. Explained the amount they will pay for the access would far exceed the 20%. Explained they will get the equipment free, and simply pay for radio access. Stated the consultant mentioned the only issue that may come up is when the equipment is received, as the grant ends September 30, so if they get the equipment in six months, you will only get six months' worth of in-kind and might not get the 20% in. Explained if they did the whole project with nine (9) mobile radios, eleven (11) portables and the base station, they would end up paying over $11,000 more than the match for two years. Explained if they got the equipment in within a year of the proposal, they would still meet the match. Explained the grant is headed by St. Clair County Emergency Management Agency, and includes Bond, Monroe, St. Clair and Madison Counties so as to apply for the grant with a large region approach. Stated one item in Maryville's favor is they are in the St. Louis area, which gives them a bigger rating for terrorism at Tier II, which is only one step below major cities. Stated he spoke with the Director of the EMA, who advised the proposal they have already is over $5 million. Stated the Director informed he will check with the consultants to see if they can work Maryville in. Explained he just found out about this issue last Wednesday. Stated they will be required to present a memorandum of understanding in agreement with the partnership. Commented his opinion this is a great opportunity, as this is equipment that will be required eventually. Stated he is asking for permission to proceed. Stated decisions will be made in March and any bills would go on next fiscal year's budget.
7:09:36 PM Gulledge Asked for any questions.
7:09:40 PM Callahan Commented $10 million for all of Southern Illinois is not much money.
7:09:54 PM Schardan Commented Springfield is trying to put together a regional approach as well, so they could portion the funds out. Explained the consultants think if they were to get the grant and equipment, Motorola would bill the municipality for equipment and installation, which would be forwarded to St. Clair County for payment. Explained that would not count until the end of the grant period.
7:10:50 PM Gulledge Asked for comments. The Board was in favor of placing the item on the agenda for the Board meeting. Went to next item, Request for Release of Retainage Amounts. Explained Petroff attended the meeting last Wednesday requesting the release. Commented he distributed a copy of the portion of the contract that speaks about retainage. Stated it is within Petroff's right to ask for the release, as it is within the Village's right to release it and reinstate later. Stated a walk through is scheduled for tomorrow at 3:00 p.m., and stated he would prefer to wait on this decision until after the walk-through inspection. Stated he would like the Board to give him the authority to handle the issue based on the findings. Stated he will report to the Board at the Board meeting next Wednesday. All were in favor. Went to next item, and asked Presson to discuss.
7:14:14 PM Presson Discussed decorative street signs and posts for old town. Referred to the distributed report, stating these meet all current ordinances and codes for street poles and signs. Stated his recommendation is for purchase from Lighting Resources for $40,928. Stated this purchase will cover all of Old Town.
7:15:01 PM Presson Stated it covers street name signs, road signs, poles and necessary hardware, minus labor for installation.
7:15:05 PM Gulledge Stated his desire to make sure everyone understands, this does not include light poles. Commented his opinion this is a nice touch and matches the Villages of Amberleigh and other new subdivisions. Asked for questions or comments. Discussion ensued as to the design of the signs.
7:16:11 PM Schmidt Commented Presson has talked to both distributors about an extension of time regarding prices.
7:16:32 PM Presson Stated they did not give confirmed dates; however he discussed the possibility of a price guarantee until project completion. Stated at a minimum they will have a year extension on prices. Schmidt asked if the prices will be good for developers also. Presson responded that was not discussed; however the developers will be given the information.
7:17:25 PM Gulledge Stated the next subdivision that will fall under this requirement will be Villas of Remington, and then Timber Creek. Asked for other questions.
7:17:58 PM Callahan Commented he does not understand why one bid is for nine (9) items while the other is for fifteen (15).
7:18:10 PM Presson Commented it took him a week to break down the bids line by line. Stated several companies did not provide the correct information. Stated in breaking down the cost of the poles and hardware for each bid, the recommendation came down to Lighting Resources for the price listed. Explained one of the bidders included the cost for the actual signs; however the Village has a company they use for signs that has always been less expensive. Commented there is still an approximately $4,000 savings with those signs. Callahan asked for specifics. Presson broke down the bids individually.
7:20:57 PM Gulledge Asked for other questions. There were none. Stated the item will be placed on the Board meeting agenda. Went to next item, Dump Truck.
7:21:14 PM Presson Stated this truck is used for snow plowing and general purposes. Explained the bed is in disrepair and needs to be replaced. Stated he received two bids, the low bid being $9,995 from Woody's Municipal Supply, which is his recommendation.
7:21:54 PM Kostyshock Commented a new bed will last three to four years, whereas a new truck would be $40,000 to $45,000.
7:22:08 PM Gulledge Agreed the bed should be repaired. Asked for questions or comments.
7:22:12 PM Schmidt Asked if this will come under "vehicles".
7:22:16 PM Presson Stated they will combine "vehicle" and "maintenance".
7:22:25 PM Gulledge Asked if it could fall under "equipment". Presson answered possibly.
7:22:35 PM Presson Commented in reviewing his budget, the majority will come out of "equipment vehicles".
7:22:41 PM Gulledge Asked if he plans to split the cost between Water and Street.
7:22:46 PM Presson Answered he will have to look at how it was purchased, as he believes it was purchased on a grant through Water. Explained it will be a dual use truck.
7:23:12 PM Gulledge Asked for other questions. There were none. Stated the item will be placed on the agenda. Went to next item, Storm Water Ordinance Amendment.
7:23:24 PM Presson Stated the change will be to Section E. Read the current verbiage verbatim. Stated they will make an addition, which he read verbatim. Explained in the past the Village has approved subdivision contractors to use PVC and metal pipe outside of the right-of-way, not underneath the streets. Stated this amendment makes the policy official.
7:24:32 PM Gulledge Commented it has the potential for savings as long as it is not under the road.
7:24:49 PM Presson Stated they will keep concrete under roads and along all right-of-ways.
7:24:56 PM Gulledge Explained inside subdivisions they can use plastic.
7:25:03 PM Presson Stated it has the potential of saving upwards of 25-40% in materials. Explained it will be better for maintenance as it is less time consuming to repair and replace.
7:25:26 PM Gulledge Stated the item will be placed on the Board meeting agenda. Asked for other questions for Presson. There were none. Went to Calendar Updates. Commented on the Concert in the Park event at 3:00 p.m.; commented the Caucus meeting that would have been held on October 31st has been cancelled to allow people to be at home with their children and to attend the annual Police Department Party; commented the Fire Department Open House is this weekend from 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., at which parking will be available at Mother of Perpetual Help Church. Commented there will be a blood drive, helicopter, State Police demonstrations, Safe Routes to School. Commented the majority of the Board and staff will be attending the IML Conference in Chicago October 18th through the 21st. Commented the week of October 22nd is large item pickup on residents' regular trash collection day. Went to Public Input. There was none. Went to To Do List, page 1. The status of the Special Census was questioned. Fenton stated they have had no response from the Bureau. Mayor asked Fenton to find out whether the check had been cashed. Callahan asked about the settlement made regarding Brine Tanks. Gulledge responded it is true; however they do not yet have the check. Went to page 2. Commented the Department of Corrections workers have been out, however he is unsure as to the status of the Drost Lake tree removal project. Went to page 3; there were no comments. Went to page 4; there were no comments. Went to Trustees' Comments.
7:30:56 PM Schmidt Reminded all articles for the next issue of the Gazette are due to Jack Kime and/or Jolene Henry. Reminded all of the Business After Hours event to be hosted by the Village tomorrow evening, at which there will be food and wine tasting by Judy Wieman. Commented the Administration needs to be thinking about figures for the tax levy, which is due the second Tuesday in December. Commented the Economic Development Committee met Monday night, and he passed on some of the Board Member's comments regarding the business zones project. Stated he told the Committee to expect more comments from the Board, as he gave a deadline of November 1st for additions or corrections. Stated they also discussed their next project, which will be review of the sign ordinance.
7:33:12 PM Callahan Commented the Khoury League presented a bill for the MCIB participation in the Opening Day event. Stated the bill is $600 for the rental of an inflatable. Stated there was $2,000 in the budget. Next, commented on the three bids for changing the marquee to an electronic message board. Stated the idea was to use the existing sign, remove the reader board and replace it with a two-sided electronic sign. Stated the bids ranged from the high bid of $28,874 to the low bid of $17,663. Stated the low bidder also designed and built the sign for Firemen's Park. Commented the only thing not included in the low bid was painting of the existing sign, but believes they can get that included for less than the difference in the high bid of $9,000. Went over the differences in the bids: The warranty on the middle bid was 5 years; for the high bid was also 5 years; for the low bid is three years for parts and 1.5 years for labor. Commented his opinion this would be a good addition. Stated it was presented as something for the MCIB to consider. Stated they need to be creative, as it is not in the MCIB budget. Commented on the many compliments received regarding the marquee sign since its installation. Commented they have multiple requests for advertising, and are only able to accommodate one-half to one-third of them. Stated this addition will allow more information to get to the public.
7:39:09 PM Gulledge Stated he discussed the issue with Callahan. Agrees the sign is needed. Commented another issue is changing the sign is hard in bad weather.  Stated this will allow change from inside the building, as well as the ability to update more quickly. Stated between now and the next Board meeting, he thinks they can probably come up with a plan regarding how to pay for the project. Commented as this benefits every Department in the community, perhaps they can share the cost. Asked for questions or comments.
7:41:40 PM Callahan Commented he can go back to the MCIB to ask if they would like to donate to the project. Explain the did not discuss payment; they simply recommended to the Board that it be purchased.
7:42:05 PM Gulledge Stated he will talk to the staff and see if they each can come up with $3,000.
7:42:38 PM Schmidt Commented he does not want to see the money come from the MCIB.
7:42:47 PM Callahan Commented there is a possibility that the MCIB will not finish some of the projects for which they have budgeted. Commented he would not want to let the bid go if they are unable to find the funding, and would be willing to seek help from the MCIB.
7:42:59 PM Gulledge Stated they will look at it and figure something out.
7:43:05 PM Callahan Commented there has not yet been a problem, however there is a security issue with the existing cabinet, as the safety mechanism is worn. Stated with this system, there will be no such problem.
7:44:01 PM Garcia Asked the size of the current letters. Comments were made they are either five or six inches. Garcia commented she wanted to make sure five is readable from the street. Fenton explained the sign is changeable depending on the number of lines used, as the letters can go up to ten inches tall.
7:45:17 PM Garcia Asked about the notation of software on one bid.
7:45:25 PM Callahan Stated two of the three bids do not need software, as they have a wireless connected keyboard. Fenton commented the keyboard has a small screen that allows the author to see how the message will be displayed.
7:46:04 PM Gulledge Asked for other questions.
7:46:07 PM Schmidt Commented they should discuss the painting issue with the low bidder. Gulledge agreed. Callahan noted this bidder also included repair of the lighting in the website advertisement at the bottom of the sign.
7:47:13 PM Gulledge Asked for other comments.
7:47:17 PM Garcia Asked when they will be able to get it done.
7:47:21 PM Gulledge Responded they will find out after the vote at the Board meeting.
7:47:32 PM Kostyshock Commented they finished the final binder on the road project. Explained the schedule for next week: The final coat will be started down the north side of Lange, along Division to 159, and then the side streets, doing Donk to East Main last. Explained everything depends on the walk through scheduled for tomorrow. Stated if they can repair the issues by Monday they will let them do the finish work. Commented the week after they will finish the south side of East Main. Explained the last thing they will do is East Main itself, after which they should be out of town. Commented his hope they will be out in the next three weeks.
7:48:59 PM Garcia Asked how far down East Main.
7:49:02 PM Kostyshock Stated from 159 to a little past Lange.
7:49:23 PM Gulledge Asked for other comments. There were none. Went to Mayor's Comments. Stated the Public Works Committee will be conducting a water and sewer rate study for presentation on November 14th. Stated he has asked Juneau and Wigginton to complete research on the Bauer Lane project, as they need to make a decision on the issue. Stated his plan is to have information to the Board no later than the Board meeting on November 7th. Explained there will be several options that the Board may or may not consider. Commented they owe the residents an answer. Commented it is not the Village's fault, as they have run into major issues with easements. Next, encouraged all to attend the Business After Hours event tomorrow night.
7:51:52 PM Gulledge With nothing further to discuss, asked for a motion to adjourn. Motion was made by Schmidt and seconded by Garcia. Voting on the motion: Limberg - yes; Schmidt - yes; Callahan - yes; Kostyshock - yes; Garcia - yes. Motion carried.
7:52:10 PM   The meeting ended.

Respectfully submitted,

Thelma Long, Village Clerk

Produced by FTR Log Notes
www.FTRGold.com


The Village of Maryville