Click to Home
Go To Search
 

View Other Items in this Archive | View All Archives | Printable Version

Village of Maryville, Illinois

Description Caucus Meeting
Date 2/27/2008 Location Council Chamber
Time Speaker Note
6:30:29 PM Gulledge Called the Caucus meeting of Wednesday, February 27, 2008 to order and invited those in attendance to join in the Pledge of Allegiance. After the Pledge, he asked for a roll of those officers present. Answering the roll call were Trustees Limberg, Schmidt, Bell, Callahan, Kostyshock and Garcia. Also in attendance were Deputy Clerk Fenton, Attorney Wigginton, Public Works Director Presson, three (3) reporters and four (4) residents.
6:31:12 PM Gulledge Called for approval of the February 13th meeting minutes. He asked if there were any questions, additions or subtractions to the minutes as prepared by the Clerk. There were none. Motion to approve was made by Schmidt and seconded by Kostyshock. Voting on the motion: Limberg - yes; Schmidt - yes; Bell - yes; Callahan - yes; Kostyshock - yes; Garcia - yes. Motion carried.
6:31:45 PM Gulledge Stated the first agenda item will be deleted, as the plan to use Drost Park for a WWII reenactment has been postponed. Went to next agenda item, and explained Linda Mauck has requested approval to have a paper recycling container installed on the library site for use by the library and Village. Explained he does not know if there is a cost involved. Stated they have not yet received details; they are only seeking approval of placing the container on the property.
6:33:05 PM Schmidt Asked if they want the Village to do the project.
6:33:14 PM Gulledge Responded his understanding it would be a joint effort.
6:33:19 PM Schmidt Asked if they will need an intergovernmental agreement.
6:33:26 PM Gulledge Responded he does not believe that is necessary. Commented it is a container similar to what is at the elementary school.
6:34:10 PM Schmidt Commented his opinion they need more specifics, as some services require an agreement.
6:34:22 PM Gulledge Explained he is not asking for a vote. Asked if the Board has problem with the library going forward with the research. All were in favor of seeing more information on the project.
6:34:45 PM Gulledge Went to next agenda item, Planning Commission Recommendations and asked Limberg to discuss.
6:34:51 PM Limberg Stated the Planning Commission met to consider an application of rezoning certain properties along South Donk, South Lange and South Center Streets. Stated approximately thirty (30) people were in attendance at the meeting. Stated discussion centered around on how the zoning will affect owners' property, especially with regard to property taxes. It was explained the rezoning will not raise property tax. Stated a question was raised as to the affect of traffic flow of businesses on Route 159, to which the response was it would be the responsibility of IDOT. Stated seven members of the Commission were present, and the vote was unanimous to recommend the rezoning. Explained the rezoning accomplishes the elimination of multi-family zoning.
6:36:54 PM Gulledge Asked for questions or comments.
6:37:02 PM Callahan Asked if they addressed the problem of the old Maryville Lumber location. He was told yes.
6:37:20 PM Gulledge Commented there is a map available.
6:38:19 PM Schmidt Commented Flaugher did a good job explaining the issues. Commented the Comprehensive Plan calls for the area to be zoned B-1.
6:39:06 PM Kostyshock Commented the Village cannot continue to depend on real estate taxes and needs to generate some sales tax revenue.
6:39:36 PM Gulledge Commented those present were interested in what will be done with the rest of Route 159. Stated his opinion they will proceed in stages to rezone the rest of the area commercial.
6:40:07 PM Schmidt Commented the ordinance should read MR-2 versus MR-1.
6:40:40 PM Gulledge Stated they will check on the item. Went to next agenda item, Park Committee Recommendations.
6:40:55 PM Bell Presented the Khoury League request to have field 6 graded and filled in to allow drainage; approval to extend the backstop in order to reduce the number of foul balls from leaving the playing area; and construct dugouts at field six at their own expense. Kostyshock clarified the League will do the work themselves.
6:41:57 PM Gulledge Commented the League will be doing the work themselves except for the drainage project, which he and Presson have reviewed.
6:42:12 PM Presson Stated his recommendation is to cut an invert into the current sedimentation basin to drain the field. Explained the current basin is acting as a dam.
6:42:49 PM Gulledge Commented they will need to add dirt to the low spots.
6:43:19 PM Presson Commented even if it hits the ditch he does not believe it will drain all the standing water. Commented he would have to shoot the area with a laser; however it is too muddy to do that now.
6:43:27 PM Bell Commented his understanding the League had someone out with a laser and they were under the impression they knew what needed to be done.
6:43:49 PM Presson Commented if needed he can put in a drainage pipe.
6:44:03 PM Bell Commented whatever Presson believes should be done is what the Board will go by.
6:44:24 PM Gulledge Stated they will look at the issue. Moved on to the other requests.
6:44:57 PM Bell Explained they need the field to accommodate the older teams and lose the use of it after wet weather for two weeks, which causes scheduling issues.
6:45:07 PM Schmidt Asked what is meant by extending the backstop, i.e. will it be parallel with the foul lines.
6:45:16 PM Bell Responded yes. Explained they are losing foul balls in the Ameren property and cannot retrieve them.
6:45:38 PM Gulledge Asked the Board's opinion. All were in favor. Stated the item will be placed on the Board meeting agenda. Asked Presson to talk to John McNamara to see if they shot grades. Bell asked that Fenton contact the League to let them know their recommendations are approved. Gulledge went to next item Public Works PC, and asked Bell and Presson to discuss.
6:46:39 PM Presson Stated he will receive the new PC, and his current PC will go to the Street Department. Explained the current Street Department PC was purchased in the late 1990's and does not operate GIS or other relevant software needed for the department efficiently. Stated the bid cost is $2,398.98.
6:47:34 PM Bell Explained the components of the bid, which consists of the base computer; a new copy of Microsoft Office; and they are trying a dual video adapter card and second monitor, which allows Presson to have GIS up at all times on one monitor while using the second for daily operation software. Stated setup of both PCs is included. Stated the item is in the Public Works budget.
6:49:16 PM Gulledge Asked for questions. There were none. Asked what will be done with the old PC.
6:49:29 PM Presson Stated it will be surplus equipment.
6:49:38 PM Gulledge Asked for other comments. There were none. Stated the item will be placed on the Board meeting agenda.
6:49:53 PM Bell Commented the dual monitor configuration is not the Village standard; it is a trial. Stated Presson will give Bell an idea of whether it sufficiently cuts down workload for him.
6:50:19 PM Gulledge Asked for other questions or comments for Presson.
6:50:26 PM Callahan Complimented the Street Department that they went behind the trash truck the other day picking up the trash cans left in the street. Commented it was nice of them to do.
6:52:02 PM Gulledge Asked for other comments. There were none. Went to Calendar Updates for March. Commented on the Best of Maryville Art Show scheduled for March 16th; the Community Improvement Board meeting scheduled for March 3rd at 7:00 p.m.
6:53:03 PM Gulledge Went to Public Input.
6:53:39 PM Chuck Tennant 2508 Liberty. Stated he has used the deduct water meter for one year. Explained after paying the surcharges, installation charges, inspection charges and rental, the cost is outweighing the savings on water. Offered his copy of bills and break-out of costs for review by the Board.
6:55:50 PM Gulledge Stated they will take the issue to the Public Works meeting.
6:56:02 PM Bell Asked if they estimated any return on investment time for the average customer.
6:56:11 PM Presson Stated he does not remember and would have to go back and look.
6:56:21 PM Gulledge Asked for other Public Input.
6:56:33 PM Mike Drake 2501 Gecko. Commented he heard a rumor that Red'z Rib Shack is relocating to Collinsville. Asked whether the Board has had any conversations with them to keep them in Maryville.
6:57:04 PM Gulledge Stated he has, and gave them two locations for possible relocation within the Village; however they did not work out. Commented they do not want Red'z to leave, but there is nothing else they can do. Commented Red'z was renting and did not own their building. Commented there are not many empty buildings in town, so the only other option would be for them to build.
6:58:13 PM Gulledge Went to To Do List, page 1. Commented the check has been mailed for the Special Census.
6:58:43 PM Limberg Asked if more remodeling is scheduled for the Seniors Building.
6:58:50 PM Gulledge Responded no; however they left it on the To Do List due to a few loose ends. Went to page 2.
6:59:18 PM Bell Asked the status of the boat ramp access.
6:59:26 PM Gulledge Stated they have not done anything.
7:00:03 PM Bell Asked if a discussion regarding the problems with Khoury League parking around the Outreach Center can be scheduled.
7:00:31 PM Gulledge Commented he asked at the Park Committee to get a meeting with McNamara.
7:00:38 PM Bell Commented his meaning of things the Village can do. Stated last year they discussed the possibility of denying access to certain parts of the lot. Asked if they can get the item on the To Do List.
7:01:16 PM Gulledge Added the item. Asked for other comments. There were none. Went to page 3. There were no comments. Went to Trustees' Comments.
7:01:31 PM Schmidt Asked Wigginton after the resolution of the $1,000 deductible whether any other items needed to be addressed within the Personnel Policy under Health Insurance.
7:02:13 PM Wigginton Responded not to his knowledge, as the plan was the only thing they were waiting on.
7:02:26 PM Schmidt Clarified everything stays status quo and they are maintaining the 80/20 split. He was told yes.
7:02:43 PM Bell Thanked Fenton for working with Buscom this week to resolve some software issues relating to the new installation.
7:03:13 PM Callahan Commented he and Schmidt previously met with members of the Moose and told them they would consider allowing them to use the Senior Citizens building. Stated they currently meet in the basement of Boogies three times per month, which is working out well; however for events such as the upcoming blood drive they use the Senior Center. Stated the Village is charging them for the use. Suggests the Board allow organizations wishing to use the Center for a community event to use the building at no charge.
7:04:34 PM Gulledge Asked for any comments. Schmidt agreed with Callahan.
7:05:49 PM Gulledge Stated he has no problem with the issue. Polled the Board; all were in favor.
7:06:06 PM Callahan Stated he indicated the Moose should call him back; if they do he will relay the Board's feeling.
7:06:21 PM Garcia Commented she had a resident advise her of a coyote problem on his property and asked if there is anything the Village can do. Stated the resident called PSO Jones, who indicated he is unable to help. Stated the proximity to the bike trail concerns her.
7:07:38 PM Gulledge Stated the walking trail is not the responsibility of the Village. Suggested the resident call Jones.
7:08:56 PM Gulledge Went to Mayor's Comments. Commented as a reminder a public hearing will be held next Wednesday at 6:45 p.m. before the regularly scheduled Board meeting to discuss rezoning of certain properties along Route 159, after which the item will be on the Board meeting agenda.
7:09:20 PM Gulledge With no further business to come before the meeting, asked for a motion to adjourn. Motion was made by Bell and seconded by Schmidt. Voting on the motion: Limberg - yes; Schmidt - yes; Bell - yes; Callahan - yes; Kostyshock - yes; Garcia - yes. Motion carried.
7:09:41 PM   The meeting ended.

Respectfully submitted,

Thelma Long, Village Clerk

 

Produced by FTR Log Notes?
www.ftrgold.com


The Village of Maryville