Click to Home
Go To Search
 

View Other Items in this Archive | View All Archives | Printable Version

Village of Maryville, Illinois

Description Caucus Meeting
Date 5/14/2008 Location Council Chamber
Time Speaker Note
6:30:10 PM Gulledge Called the Caucus meeting of Wednesday, May 14, 2008 to order and asked those in attendance to join in the Pledge of Allegiance. After the Pledge, he asked for a roll of those officers present. Answering the roll call were Trustees Limberg, Schmidt, Bell, Kostyshock and Garcia. Trustee Callahan and Attorney Wigginton arrived late. Also in attendance were Deputy Clerk Fenton and two (2) reporters.
6:30:52 PM Gulledge Called for approval of the April 30th meeting minutes. Asked if there were any questions, additions or subtractions to the minutes as prepared by the Clerk. There were none. Motion to approve was made by Schmidt and seconded by Limberg. Voting on the motion: Limberg - yes; Schmidt - yes; Bell - yes; Kostyshock - yes; Garcia - yes. Motion carried.
6:31:30 PM Gulledge Went to first agenda item, 2008/2009 Motor Fuel Tax Material Bids. Explained this is done every year. Stated a bid opening was held Tuesday at 10:00 a.m. Asked Presson to discuss.
6:31:36 PM Presson Stated recommendations from Juneau were distributed to the Trustees as follows: For concrete, Concrete Supply of Illinois for $69.75/cubic yard with no load charge; for bituminous concrete "hot mix", Maclair for $45/ton; for bituminous patching "cold mix", Maclair for $55.
6:32:21 PM Gulledge Commented normally a representative from IDOT is present at the bid opening; however this year no one attended.
6:32:52 PM Limberg Commented on the good bid price for the concrete.
6:32:58 PM Presson Concurred, commenting he was surprised at how far the price has come down in recent months.
6:33:11 PM Gulledge Stated the item will be on the Board meeting agenda.
6:33:26 PM Gulledge Went to next item, Drost Park 24" Overflow.
6:33:41 PM Presson Explained this overflow is located off of Parkview. Stated it has come to the end of its life. Explained it started as a concrete pipe which collapsed; a PVC pipe was placed inside, then corrugated metal, all getting smaller and smaller. At present the pipe has come to the point that it is almost completely closed and has failed. Stated the options are to re-bore or let it overflow onto Parkview.
6:34:42 PM Gulledge Commented the problem cannot be fixed unless it is re-bored. Stated the problem is the overflow goes under the bike path and they want to avoid problems with MCT, as they are difficult to deal with.
6:35:14 PM Bell Asked whether the path itself has caused the problem.
6:35:21 PM Presson Responded it is a natural failure.
6:35:36 PM Gulledge Commented Presson has worried about this issue for several months. Stated they tried for three bids, but received two. Commented the bids are high; however if the spillway overflows it will be much more to repair the trail.
6:36:07 PM Bell Asked if the bid is only for installation.
6:36:12 PM Presson Responded it is material and installation.
6:36:42 PM Gulledge Commented he is concerned what will happen on the other side of the road once this overflow is opened up. Asked whether the pipe under Parkview has been reviewed.
6:37:00 PM Presson Stated it was shot when they did the sewer main project. Stated it will be replaced when the road is upgraded; however as of right now it is fairly clear.
6:38:08 PM Gulledge Stated he agrees it must be fixed.
6:38:32 PM Schmidt Asked to which department the expense will be charged.
6:38:38 PM Gulledge Stated it is a Park expense, as it is the lake.
6:39:01 PM Schmidt Asked whether the expense was included in any budget figures. He was told no.
6:39:08 PM Gulledge Commented they were trying to get by with it until next year; however with all the rain it has put more pressure on the overflow and it is in bad shape.
6:39:32 PM Limberg Asked the timeframe in which the work will be done.
6:39:34 PM Presson Stated within 48 hours after Board approval.
6:39:41 PM Gulledge Stated if the Board has no problem, he would like to give Presson the authority to make the call tomorrow to get the company lined up and put the item on the Board agenda for a vote. Stated the low bidder is Roland Machinery for $10,765.
6:40:31 PM Wigginton Arrived and was seated.
6:40:38 PM Gulledge Asked the Trustees opinion; all were in favor. Went to next item, License Agreement with MCT for drainage culvert. Explained the agreement is standard and must be in place before they can bore under the bike trail.
6:41:20 PM Wigginton Stated this is MCT's standard license agreement that allows Maryville to bore under the bike trail. Explained MCT will not change the language, but in this case it should be a simple project.
6:41:41 PM Schmidt Asked who is responsible if damage is done to the bike trail. Wigginton responded Maryville is.
6:41:45 PM Wigginton Commented under the terms of their license agreement, Maryville is responsible for everything. Stated it is very one sided; however it is the way MCT wrote it and they will not change it, as Maryville has tried in the past.
6:41:58 PM Limberg Asked if the boring company will carry their own liability.
6:42:07 PM Wigginton Stated Maryville will have to have an agreement with them. Stated they will have to carry Maryville as an additional insured.
6:42:26 PM Gulledge Asked for other comments. There were none. Stated the item will be placed on the Board meeting agenda. Went to next item, ordinance to dispose of Public Works 1988 S-10 Chevrolet Pickup Truck.
6:42:40 PM Presson Stated this truck is permanently stored at the tower. Stated his recommendation is to put it out for bid.
6:43:02 PM Gulledge Explained the Board must pass an ordinance to dispose of it as surplus property. Asked if anyone had a problem. No one did. Stated Presson will advertise it in the paper for sealed, secure bids. All Trustees agreed. Asked for other questions for Presson.
6:44:07 PM Bell Asked the status of the boat dock accessibility.
6:44:19 PM Presson Stated nothing has been done due to the recent bad weather. Explained they are behind in many projects. Stated they will do their best to accomplish it by summer. Stated the current priority is to get the signs up in Old Town before Homecoming.
6:44:47 PM Bell Asked if there is a plan to dump dirt around the gazebo at the upcoming Community Work Day.
6:44:59 PM Presson Stated there is a planning meeting tomorrow to discuss the projects. Stated Thursday and Friday he will obtain supplies and equipment.
6:45:17 PM Bell Explained a load of dirt needs to be dumped and spread out.
6:45:23 PM Presson Stated he will have two operators.
6:45:27 PM Bell Asked if they can get volunteers to rake and throw out seed.
6:45:37 PM Presson Explained the problem is they can't get equipment in there due to the wet conditions.
6:45:55 PM Bell Commented if the dirt cannot be dumped for Saturday, the project should be put on hold. Clarified he does not want to hinder plans for drainage. He was told it will not.
6:46:25 PM Gulledge Stated a planning meeting will be held at 11:00 a.m. tomorrow. Stated it will not be dry enough. Stated the project is on the list. Stated the first priority is to plant trees and then go from there. Stated it will depend on how many volunteers show up.
6:47:22 PM Presson Stated he will also need volunteers to raise pavers at the Memorial Plaza.
6:47:32 PM Limberg Asked if the Village is responsible for filling the dispensers for doggie bags. He was told yes. Reported the dispensers are out.
6:47:49 PM Presson Stated he will check on the issue and take care of it.
6:48:02 PM Gulledge Went to next item, electronic message board rules. Explained Fenton drafted some rules based on comments from the Community Improvement Board at the last meeting. Stated Trustee Schmidt followed up with some comments.
6:48:57 PM Limberg Asked Fenton how many requests she is receiving per week.
6:49:06 PM Fenton Estimated seven to nine. Explained the message board can only display six (6) messages at a time. Further explained each message can hold ten (10) pages, so there is potential for sixty (60) messages to be displayed at one time.
6:49:48 PM Bell Commented his agreement that Village events should take precedence. Commented his opinion two weeks' duration is too long.
6:50:47 PM Gulledge Commented this is up to the Board. Commented they will not get 100% consensus on each point.
6:51:31 PM Fenton Commented that was an issue the MCIB discussed for a long time.
6:51:40 PM Gulledge Commented he does not have a problem with two weeks; however it will become a problem when there are many people interested in using the board.
6:51:55 PM Schmidt Commented that is why he suggested organizations must submit their request 30 days in advance.
6:52:10 PM Bell Commented his opinion most organizations will not know thirty days in advance about an event.
6:52:23 PM Gulledge Commented his opinion they will. Stated one of the problems is, organizations are spoiled, because up until now they have had requests displayed the same day.
6:52:45 PM Bell Commented they should allow for rain-outs and cancellation of events.
6:53:34 PM Gulledge Stated one of the things that came out of the MCIB was to try the procedure the way it is written and revisit the issue in one to two months to review how it is working.
6:54:35 PM Schmidt Stated the suggestion for submitting by the first of the month does not allow for much time if events are held at the beginning of the month; therefore he suggested the rule be changed to thirty days prior to the event date.
6:56:03 PM Bell Suggested putting a limit on number of lines.
6:56:10 PM Fenton Stated she included the number of characters available for each line on the request form. Explained four lines are available at the smallest font. Commented some of the messages including four lines of small letters are difficult to read.
6:56:30 PM Bell Suggested the requirement be taken to three lines. Discussion ensued as to the size limitations of the sign.
6:57:28 PM Callahan Arrived and was seated.
6:57:58 PM Bell Suggested the rules state the Village is under no obligation to display a message and retains the right to edit the content.
6:58:40 PM Schmidt Stated his suggestion is regularly occurring events will not be accepted, meaning for example, events that happen on Tuesday of every week. Further suggested organizations be limited to one (1) event every sixty (60) days.
7:00:23 PM Gulledge Summarized that the only issue not addressed in the draft is Schmidt's suggestion regarding regularly occurring events.
7:00:38 PM Fenton Commented that is not something that has ever been requested.
7:00:57 PM Callahan Commented his assumption the MCIB would not be opposed to adding the rule. Commented his agreement that the request be submitted thirty (30) days prior to the event makes more sense. Asked whether the MCIB recommended one (1) event every sixty (60) days. He was told no; their recommendation was two (2) events per month. Commented his opinion sixty (60) days is too restrictive.
7:02:46 PM Bell Suggested splitting the difference and making the restriction once per month. Callahan concurred.
7:02:53 PM Gulledge Stated they will try one per month. Stated the issue will be brought back to a Caucus meeting in July to monitor progress.
7:03:06 PM Bell Commented the notation states copies of the form will be available at the Village Hall or at the website. Asked if the forms will be accepted in hard copy only.
7:03:22 PM Fenton Stated her understanding forms on the website will not be fill-in.
7:03:29 PM Bell Stated people can download the document, save it, edit it, and e-mail it the Village. Fenton concurred. Bell stated if they will allow that, they need instructions for e-mailing on the form. Fenton stated she will change it.
7:04:07 PM Gulledge Summarized they will add the rule regarding no regularly occurring events; change the requirement to one event every thirty days; and require request submission thirty days in advance. Bell added they will need a modify date on the form. Schmidt suggested adding a submission date entry as well.
7:05:54 PM Garcia Asked if an organization does not get an event on, can they request another for the same month. She was told yes.
7:06:40 PM Callahan Commented the smaller print is hard to read.
7:07:00 PM Bell Reiterated his suggestion they make a restriction of three (3) lines of copy. Fenton concurred.
7:08:58 PM Gulledge Suggested they make the changes discussed and revisit the issue in July.
7:09:58 PM Bell Commented there is a capability of sixty (60) messages, which limits the odds of each message being seen as cars drive by. Asked if they should put a limit on the amount of messages per month.
7:10:56 PM Callahan Commented there is still a sign available in Firemen's Park for use. Suggested maybe more long-term events should be displayed there.
7:11:10 PM Schmidt Asked the duration of each message. Fenton responded she has been using 8 seconds.
7:12:40 PM Gulledge Reiterated they will try the procedures as they have them. Stated Trustees should call Fenton with further comments. Went to Calendar Updates. Commented the 19th is a Park meeting and the Planning Commission due to Memorial Day. Bell commented 27 kids attended the bike rodeo at the elementary school. Commented the surface was better than the firehouse floor, and they had a good turnout. Commented the Concert in the Park event is scheduled for the 23rd and will feature an Elvis and Buddy Holly impersonator. Commented the Memorial Day Service will be held on the 26th at 10:00 am, at which Bruce Busler will be the key note speaker. Went to Public Input. There was none. Went to To Do List, page 1. There were no comments. Went to page 2. There were no comments. Went to page 3. There were no comments. Went to Trustees' Comments.
7:15:18 PM Limberg Stated a Planning Commission meeting will be held May 19th to discuss re-application for the 159 strip center and lots 1, 2 and 3 of Executive Plaza, both of which were tabled last month due to minor problems. Stated also on the agenda is a concept plan for the West Zupan project from Chris Gieler.
7:16:13 PM Gulledge In response to Garcia's question, explained a concept plan is when a developer bring a plan in to get a feel from the Board whether they would be in favor. Suggested if any Trustees are interested in this area, they should attend the Planning Commission meeting and ask any questions. Callahan asked whether the lot is zoned MR2. Gulledge responded he thinks so but is unsure. Reminded the Board this is a concept plan only.
7:17:10 PM Callahan Asked if it does not fit in MR2 whether the developer has to have notification, etc.
7:17:15 PM Gulledge Explained this is not a plan for any formal approval but is simply a concept plan.
7:17:44 PM Garcia Commented her understanding the Board wanted that area to be commercial. Wigginton asked whether it was one that was rezoned this year. He was told no.
7:18:00 PM Wigginton Commented they encourage every developer to bring a concept plan, as it is the best way to get the ball rolling. Stated at the initial concept meeting, they should be advised as to what the property is zoned for, and if it is not zoned for intended use, they would have to go through the rezoning procedure, including public hearings before the Planning Commission, another before this Board and a vote by this Board.
7:18:54 PM Kostyshock Commented currently there are over 60 apartments in the area now.
7:19:06 PM Gulledge Stated his suggestion is to come to the meeting.
7:19:23 PM Callahan Commented this plan is not what is allowed by MR2. Stated there is nothing they can do before coming before the Board. He was told yes.
7:19:35 PM Wigginton Commented the plan is noted as MR2. Callahan commented his understanding the concentration is more than is allowed in MR2.
7:19:44 PM Gulledge Stated anything that comes to the Planning Commission has to come before the Board for final approval.
7:19:52 PM Callahan Commented if the plan fits MR2, they don't have to do anything, so obviously by seeking the meeting it does not fit.
7:20:06 PM Limberg Commented there will be a lot of discussion on the issue.
7:20:19 PM Bell Displayed the website and asked if the Board is okay with putting the Message Board Request form in the Forms and Applications link rather than make it its own link. All were in favor.
7:22:57 PM Callahan Stated he had two neighbors ask him about the streets at Nepute and Division being torn up from the water main break. Asked whether it will be fixed.
7:23:19 PM Kostyshock Explained they are waiting for the streets to dry out from the rain before patching.
7:23:29 PM Kostyshock Commented due to the rain Public Works is behind on grass cutting. Commented they are short on people; however the summer help will start arriving soon.
7:24:05 PM Gulledge Commented on the Safe Routes Committee Walk to School Day. Stated they had a good turn out despite the rainy weather. Fenton stated approximately 150 children participated. Stated the Community Improvement Board Safe Routes Subcommittee will meet Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. to put together a plan for this year's grant program. Stated the Ministerial Alliance, Community Improvement Board and Park Committee will hold a work day at the park. Reiterated they will plan the projects at a meeting tomorrow. Stated they believe they will have approximately 75 volunteers to plant trees and perform other clean up in the park. Stated First Baptist Church will provide breakfast, and the Village will provide lunch.
7:28:08 PM Gulledge With no further business to come before the meeting, asked for a motion to adjourn. Motion was made by Schmidt and seconded by Bell. Voting on the motion: Limberg - yes; Schmidt - yes; Bell - yes; Callahan - yes; Kostyshock - yes; Garcia - yes. Motion carried.
7:28:25 PM   The meeting ended.

Respectfully submitted,

Thelma Long, Village Clerk

Produced by FTR Log Notes?
www.ftrgold.com


The Village of Maryville