Click to Home
Go To Search
 

View Other Items in this Archive | View All Archives | Printable Version

Village of Maryville, Illinois

Description Caucus Meeting
Date 10/22/2008 Location Council Chamber
Time Speaker Note
6:30:17 PM Gulledge Called the Caucus meeting of Wednesday, October 22 to order and invited those in attendance to join in the Pledge of Allegiance. After the Pledge, asked for a roll of those officers present. Answering the roll call were Trustees Schmidt, Callahan, Kostyshock and Garcia; Limberg was late; Bell was absent. Also in attendance were Deputy Clerk Fenton, Public Works Director Presson, and three (3) reporters.
6:30:58 PM Gulledge Called for approval of the October 8th meeting minutes. Asked if there were any questions, additions or subtractions to the minutes as prepared by the Clerk. There were none. Motion to approve was made by Schmidt and seconded by Kostyshock. Voting on the motion: Schmidt - yes; Callahan - yes; Kostyshock - yes; Garcia - yes. Motion carried.
6:31:25 PM Gulledge Went to first agenda item, Purchase of Walk Behind Saw and asked Presson to discuss.
6:31:35 PM Presson Presented the recommendation for the purchase of a 20 inch walk-behind saw to replace the existing item purchased in 1995. Explained the current saw is a 14 inch; they will replace it with a 20 inch. Recommend the bid from Nuway for $4,615.
6:31:59 PM Schmidt Asked what a walk-behind saw is used for.
6:32:04 PM Presson Stated it cuts curbs and concrete roads.
6:32:10 PM Schmidt Asked if it will be budgeted to Streets.
6:32:16 PM Presson Stated it will be divided because it is used in both departments.
6:32:26 PM Gulledge Asked for other questions. There were none. Polled the Board; all were in favor.
6:32:34 PM Gulledge Went to next item, Request to Hire a Full Time Public Works Employee.
6:32:45 PM Presson Stated this will actually be a promotion from part time to full time. Explained they are currently down by three positions. Stated he would like to fill one of these positions with part time employee Jeremy Stone. Stated he is in the midst of the drug and alcohol testing and physical examination.
6:33:12 PM Schmidt Asked how many hours the part time people put in.
6:33:16 PM Presson Responded 32 hours per week.
6:33:26 PM Schmidt Clarified promoting this individual to full time will only gain eight (8) hours.
6:33:37 PM Presson Responded he will actually gain more than that because he will be on a probationary period, so he will have no missed work for the employee; he will gain a day a week; and will gain an on-call service list employee, for which he is currently down three (3).
6:34:00 PM Gulledge Commented he checked on IMRF due to the 1,000 hour restriction; Jeremy has worked 726 hours. Explained this means the IMRF would run out around the first week of December with 1,000 hours.
6:34:30 PM Presson Explained the other two part time employees are both under 550 hours.
6:34:35 PM Gulledge Commented there is money in the budget for a full time hire.
6:34:42 PM Kostyshock Commented they have been working short.
6:34:47 PM Gulledge Asked the record to show Trustee Limberg arrived and was seated.
6:34:53 PM Kostyshock Continued they have been three people short. Explained this is not a new hire but a replacement of one of these three spots. Commented they have a big back load of work. Commented Stone's co-workers report he is a good worker.
6:35:36 PM Schmidt Stated his recommendation would be to reconsider and hire another part time person instead of full time so they don't have the cost of healthcare and IMRF; they eliminate the possibility of another individual going into the union; and they would get more man-hours.
6:36:08 PM Presson Commented they are entering negotiations and will have a contract that says they will not hire summer help employees. Stated there will be no part time positions available. Stated he is now three (3) positions down on full-time help coming into a season where salt has tripled and they have ages on equipment.
6:36:40 PM Schmidt Responded he realizes what they are short; however they are only gaining eight (8) hours.
6:36:44 PM Presson Argued he is gaining eight (8) hours per week, and an employee that can work eighty (80) hours a week. Stated he is gaining the ability for this employee to be there when he needs them. Stated currently he cannot work this employee over thirty-two (32) hours.
6:37:04 PM Schmidt Reiterated his recommendation is to reconsider and hire another part time individual.
6:37:09 PM Gulledge Asked for other comments.
6:37:12 PM Garcia Stated she disagreed, as they recently hired a police officer due to need. Stated she believes they can hire a Public Works employee, as Presson has been down three for so long.
6:37:21 PM Callahan Stated he agrees with Schmidt. Stated he realizes Presson is in a bind in that he can only work these individuals 1,000 hours; however he does not realize what kind of bind the Village will end up in if the economy keeps going down. Stated they have to start paying attention and planning for the future.
6:37:44 PM Gulledge Polled the board: Limberg - agrees with Presson, as they are behind on work and have been down for six (6) months. Schmidt's and Callahan's opinions were previously stated. Kostyshock - full time. Garcia - full time. Arguments ensued over previously hiring a police officer.
6:38:53 PM Schmidt Stated he understands Presson's reasoning that he would have another person on-call for another forty hours; however the on-call overtime offers start at the top of the seniority level and trickle down, so this individual would be the last to be offered the over time.
6:39:36 PM Presson Explained he does not have a situation where one person is needed for overtime. Stated when he has an overtime situation in Streets, it involves a crew for removal of trees, plowing of roads, de-icing sidewalks, etc.
6:40:10 PM Schmidt Stated his recommendation stands.
6:40:12 PM Callahan Commented they are comparing apples and oranges in comparing the Police Department to the Street Department. Explained Police must be staffed twenty-four (24) hours per day, seven (7) days per week; Presson covers five (5) days per week, eight (8) hours per day and whenever there is a need elsewhere. Explained they cannot just have one officer on-shift. Commented the Police Department is not over-manned.
6:40:39 PM Garcia Asked if the police worked eight (8) hours per day, would they need all those police officers. Callahan responded he thinks they would need more. Garcia stated they worked up a schedule, and more officers were not needed.
6:40:51 PM Gulledge Suggested they talk to Bell if he makes the meeting. Stated he plans to send a memo which may sway the Trustees' opinion; however he cannot discuss it in an open meeting because it is involved in the union negotiations.
6:41:18 PM Callahan Commented the benefit expense is approximately $20,000 in addition to a full-time salary; they could hire a lot of part time personnel for $20,000.
6:41:37 PM Presson Commented he will not have that opportunity shortly.
6:41:40 PM Gulledge Cautioned Presson not to say more, as he plans to send a memo. Stated this will allow the Trustees time to reconsider their positions.
6:42:30 PM Gulledge Asked Presson to discuss his next item, which is not on the agenda.
6:42:39 PM Presson Stated they have had a situation arise similar to the Birke lift station at the station by the Subway restaurant. Stated one pump is completely gone; they have a situation with the control panels and the valve boxes. Stated this is the oldest lift station in town. Stated it was scheduled for relocation at one time, but that option is no longer available. Stated this falls into a situation where they need to rebuild the entire lift station as they did with the Birch station. Stated the total cost will be $45,310. Commented this is not a budgeted item. Stated he has money to spend to be able to fall within the budget for this year in line items 52-00515 and 52-00830.
6:44:22 PM Gulledge Commented so everyone understands, this lift station has two pump; one is out. Explained the second pump is a back up, so if the one that is operational goes down, they will have to pump by hand and truck it. Explained they have to fix the lift station.
6:45:07 PM Presson Stated this will be the last retrofitted station. Stated after this re-build, all stations will be at current standards.
6:45:18 PM Gulledge Explained this is an emergency. Stated it was not budgeted because Presson did not think it would go bad. Commented there may be a project they planned for spring that may have to wait until summer to cover the cost.
6:45:45 PM Kostyshock Commented this is the pump that they had planned to move to the other side of the highway several years ago; however the development never happened, so it was not accomplished.
6:46:02 PM Presson Reiterated the pump will be brought 100% up to current standards, including the SCADA system, emergency float system, etc. Explained currently the system is on a modem dialer to alert if it is not working. Commented the modem is at approximately 50% due to corroded connections.
6:46:29 PM Gulledge Polled the Board. All were in favor.
6:46:56 PM Gulledge Stated they will approve the item at the next Board meeting, and instructed Presson to get started due to the emergency situation. Asked Presson to update the Board on project status.
6:47:12 PM Presson Stated they have one pour left on the new pavilion floor, which will be finished by the end of this week or beginning of next with weather conditions. Stated they have broken ground on the other side of the lake with the excavator. Stated they will work on the project full time next week. Stated they have removed approximately 4,400 yards to date. Stated the Fairlane drainage project is ongoing and will be approximately two (2) weeks before it is completed. Stated the rubberized surface at the playground is 100% completed and foot steps have been added. Commented it is a beautiful project and recommended the Trustees go out to see it. Stated the Drost Lake overflow project is completed; they only have rip-rap left to complete, which they can take their time with.
6:49:29 PM Kostyshock Asked if they will leave the existing overflow pipe in.
6:49:35 PM Presson Responded they plan to leave it in for now for assurance purposes. Stated as long as there are no problems, they will wait until it collapses and then plug it.
6:49:54 PM Callahan Asked if Presson has had a chance to look at the hole on West Main at Nepute.
6:50:18 PM Presson Stated it is scheduled for replacement. Stated they are doing asphalt repairs next week, concrete after, and crack filling. Stated he will look into filling the hole for now until it can be repaired.
6:50:56 PM Gulledge Went to next item, Engineering Contract with Juneau for the OSLAD grant. Stated Wigginton reviewed and has no problems. Stated it is a prerequisite for the grant and is Juneau's standard contract. Stated it must be approved by resolution to be part of the OSLAD grant. There were no questions or comments. Stated the item will be placed on the Board meeting agenda.
6:52:04 PM Gulledge Went to Calendar Updates. Schmidt asked if they will have a Caucus meeting next week, as it is the fifth Wednesday. Gulledge answered as of now, yes, as he thinks there may be some business from the Planning Commission meeting scheduled for Monday evening. Stated if there is no business to discuss, he will cancel the Caucus meeting. Commented the Planning Commission should be a lengthy meeting. Stated the agenda is as follows: Public Hearing to discuss a re-zoning request for 612 Drost Street from SR-1 to SR-2; Public Hearing to discuss a re-zoning request on Copper Creek Outlot A, Osborn Properties from SR-2 to B-1; recommendation on Cadagin and Cain Law Office Developmental Plan; recommendation on Maryville Medical Building #2 Development Plan. There were no other comments on the calendar.
6:55:25 PM Gulledge Went to Public Input. There was none. Went to To Do List, page 1. There were no comments. Went to page 2. Schmidt asked the status of the census figures. Gulledge responded they have not received final numbers yet. Went to page 3. There were no comments. Went to Trustees' Comments.
6:56:37 PM Callahan Commented he received an e-mail from Joe Benker regarding prices for one Welcome sign and two signs. Stated he hopes to have a proposal soon.
6:56:58 PM Gulledge Went to Mayor's Comments. He had none. With no further business to come before the meeting, asked for a motion to adjourn. Motion was made by Schmidt and seconded by Kostyshock. Voting on the motion: Limberg - yes; Schmidt - yes; Callahan - yes; Kostyshock - yes; Garcia - yes. Motion carried.
6:57:23 PM   The meeting ended.

Respectfully submitted,

Thelma Long, Village Clerk

Produced by FTR Log Notes?
www.ftrgold.com

 


The Village of Maryville