Click to Home
Go To Search
 

View Other Items in this Archive | View All Archives | Printable Version

Village of Maryville, Illinois

Description Caucus Meeting
Date 8/26/2009 Location Council Chamber
Time Speaker Note
6:30:03 PM Gulledge Called the Caucus meeting of Wednesday, August 26, 2009 to order and invited those in attendance to join in the Pledge of Allegiance. After the Pledge, he asked for a roll call of those officers present. Answering the roll call were Trustees Limberg, Bell, Garcia and Short; Schmidt and Kostyshock were absent. Also in attendance were Deputy Clerk Fenton, Public Works Director Presson, Police Chief Schardan, two (2) residents and two (2) reporters.
6:30:51 PM Gulledge Called for approval of the August 12th meeting minutes. Asked if there were any questions, additions or subtractions to the minutes as prepared by the Clerk. There were none. Motion to approve was made by Limberg and seconded by Short. Voting on the motion: Limberg - yes; Bell - yes; Garcia - yes; Short - yes. Motion carried.
6:31:27 PM Gulledge Stated the first agenda item will be postponed until a representative from Aquatic Treasures is in attendance. Went to next item, Request to Attend Police Chief's Association Conference and asked Chief Schardan to discuss.
6:32:02 PM Schardan Explained this is the conference he attended last year for the first time, and is a good quality conference. Stated his request to attend this year in Denver, Colorado.
6:32:53 PM Gulledge Commented the item is included in his budget. Reminded the Board Department Heads are allowed, with Board approval, to attend one conference of their choice per year. Asked for any questions. There were none. All were in favor. Went to next item, Nixle Public Notification System, and asked Schardan to discuss.
6:34:06 PM Schardan Explained this is a free service. Stated over 1,800 law enforcement agencies are currently using the system, and it is used in 49 states. Stated it allows for use by four (4) different types of communication and is simple to register. Displayed the website for examples of how it is used. Stated they are already using the system at the Police Department and it has been tested and proven to be very effective. Discussion ensued. Questions were raised as to whether they should use this free system instead of spending the funds previously approved for the e-mail notification through KDI net. It was decided the issue should be further discussed between Trustee Bell, Chief Schardan and Public Works Director Presson, and revisited at a future Caucus meeting.
6:55:16 PM Gulledge Went to next item, Tow Firms. Explained an issue that arose during Homecoming where cars were parked along the parade route and they were unable to find the owners. Stated the Police Department encountered problems contacting the tow firms on the list, and finally contacted a firm not currently on the list that was able to respond.
6:57:55 PM Schardan Explained ADR is used by Troy, who indicated they have been very happy with their service. Stated he would like to add ADR to the list, and continue to draft a procedure for regulation as was started previously.
7:00:49 PM Gulledge Asked the Board's opinion of adding ADR to the list; all were in favor. Went to next item, Museum Building Roof Bids. Explained the last time a roof was installed on the building was approximately 26 years ago, and it is now leaking and needs to be replaced.
7:06:04 PM Presson Stated he has received three (3) bids from Metro, Lakeside and Daech & Bauer. Stated the bids include repair and replacement of shingles from a twenty-year to a thirty-year architectural grade shingle and to repair and replace the guttering system. Stated his recommendation is to go with the low bid from Metro East Roofing for $8,650.
7:07:14 PM Gulledge Stated the funds will come from the Museum line item 01-52-511, in which there is a balance $10,025.
7:07:49 PM Bell Asked approximately how many sheets of plywood will be replaced, as that is an additional charge. Presson responded two to four, if any. Bell questioned what the additional "one-by" charge on Lakeside's bid is for. Presson responded possible fascia repair. Presson stated Metro included same in their bid as an addition.
7:10:03 PM Gulledge Polled the Board; all were in favor.
7:10:36 PM Gulledge Asked Presson to discuss bids on tuck pointing. Explained the item is not in the budget but will have to be done soon due to leakage issues with the building.
7:10:57 PM Presson Explained the top two bids are for tuck pointing and waterproofing of the whole building; the bottom bid is only to repair the damaged tuck pointing.
7:11:39 PM Gulledge Reiterated there is no money in the budget right now; however he wanted to make the Board aware of the potential problem at the building.
7:11:53 PM Gulledge Stated item #11 will be tabled due to Kostyshock's absence. Went to next item Fire Contract. Explained the normal contract with the Fire Protection District is for one year at $16,000, paid via two payments. Stated he asked the Fire Protection for additional help, and they were able to increase the annual payment by $4,000. Stated the item will be on the agenda at next week's Board meeting. There were no questions or comments.
7:14:27 PM Gulledge Went to Calendar Updates. Comments were made regarding events. Went to Public Input. There was none. Went to To Do List. There were no comments. Went to Trustees' Comments.
7:18:09 PM Bell Commented the movie to be shown at this week's event is rated PG 13 due to some language. Commented he wanted families to be aware.
7:20:02 PM Short Commented regarding the Planning Commission meeting. Stated they have made a request that when the walking trail in Drost Park is redone, it be dedicated in memory of Larry Benesh who was a longtime Planning Commission member who was very dedicated to the Village. Asked that the issue be brought before the Park Committee for consideration. Next, stated it has recently come to light that green space fees do not apply to commercial or multi-family developments. Stated the Commission has recommended review and updating of the ordinance and will come to the September meeting with suggestions.
7:30:23 PM Gulledge Went to Mayor's Comments. Stated he has been informed by Jay Hoffmann that the Village has been awarded $400,000 through the Illinois Public Act for road improvements. Next, informed the Board that Norma Mendoza is retiring from reporting for the Edwardsville Intelligencer. Explained Norma has been covering Maryville for over ten years, and has maintained a great relationship with the Village. Stated she will be missed and presented her with a flower arrangement.
7:34:02 PM Mendoza Thanked the Board and commented her appreciation for all the help received from the Village.
7:35:11 PM Gulledge With no further business to come before the meeting, asked for a motion to adjourn. Motion was made by Garcia and seconded by Bell. Voting on the motion: Limberg - yes; Bell - yes; Garcia - yes; Short - yes. Motion carried.
7:35:32 PM   The meeting ended.

Respectfully submitted,

Thelma Long, Village Clerk

Produced by FTR Log Notes?
www.ftrgold.com

 


The Village of Maryville