Click to Home
Go To Search
 

View Other Items in this Archive | View All Archives | Printable Version

 

Village of Maryville, IL

Description Caucus Meeting

Date

3/28/2012 Location Council Chamber
Time Speaker Note
6:30:09 PM Gulledge Called the Caucus meeting of Wednesday, March 28, 2012 to order and invited those in attendance to join in the Pledge of Allegiance.
6:30:40 PM Gulledge Asked for the roll call of those officers present. Answering the roll were Trustees Vallino, Bell, Kostyshock, Short. Absent from roll call were Trustees Schmidt and Garcia. Also in attendance were Deputy Clerk Lucas, Attorney Motil, Police Chief Schardan, and 1 reporter.
6:31:21 PM Gulledge Called for the approval of the minutes of the March 14, 2012 Caucus meeting. Asked if there were any questions, additions, or subtractions to the minutes as prepared by the Deputy Clerk. There were none. Motion to approve the minutes was made by Short and seconded by Kostyshock. Roll call vote on the motion: Vallino - yes, Bell - yes, Kostyshock - yes, Short - yes. Motion Carried.
6:34:37 PM Gulledge Agenda item number 6: Disposal of Surplus Police Department Property
6:35:09 PM Schardan The village received new squad cars that will replace cars #158 and #160. Both cars are surplus and need to be put up for bid.
6:35:24 PM bell How old are the cars? Schardan stated both cars are 2006 models. Bell asked what was wrong with the cars. Schardan stated both cars were old and had high mileage. Bell asked if putting the cars up for auction would be an option? Schardan stated that Collinsville auction would be coming up soon and could be a possibility if the village did not receive any bids.
6:36:15 PM Gulledge Stated the board need to make a decision from their discussions as the village attorney will have to draft a resolution allowing both cars to be sold.
6:36:24 PM Vallino Asked if both cars were already stripped down? Gulledge/Schardan stated both had been stripped down and were ready to be put up for bid.
6:36:31 PM Gulledge Asked if all the trustees were O.K. with going ahead with the drafting of the resolution and putting it on the next agenda. All agreed.
6:36:59 PM Gulledge Asked about old furniture located in the Police Department.
6:37:09 PM Schardan Stated the Police Department had several old chairs that were in non-usable condition and needed to be disposed of.
6:37:32 PM Gulledge Asked Motil if any resolution needed to be drawn up to be able to dispose of the items. Motil did not think anything needed to be done. No problem to just toss out the old chairs.
6:37:53 PM Gulledge Stated if no one disagreed then the old furniture should be placed in the trash. All agreed.
6:37:55 PM Gulledge Agenda item number: 7: Purchase of Replacement Police Vehicle. Asked Chief Schardan to discuss.
6:37:58 PM Schardan The Police Department needs to purchase a replacement vehicle. The new car will replace squad car # 162 which had been in an accident and could not be repaired. The village has received the insurance check in the amount of $12,556.35 with a $500.00 deductible that will also be returned. In addition, the Police Department has received returned funds from the D.E.A. they would like to use to cover the difference between the cost of the new vehicle and what the insurance check would cover. Schardan recommended purchasing the new vehicle from Don Brown Chevrolet. The dealership would give the best deal.
6:38:51 PM Bell What year was the wrecked vehicle? Gulledge stated it was a 2011. Bell asked if the village was still in possession of the wrecked vehicle? Schardan stated the insurance company had removed the vehicle.
6:39:16 PM Short Asked if the department had already received the D.E.A. funds. Schardan answered yes. Short asked if Don Browns Dealership still had car available to purchase. Schardan stated the dealership did have cars, but a car would have to be ordered before April 16, 2012.
6:39:50 PM Gulledge Asked for any further questions.
6:39:57 PM Bell Asked how much D.E.A. funds had been received. Schardan stated about $54,000.00. Bell asked if the funds were ear-marked to make payments on other loans. Schardan answered no. Gulledge stated there were other budget accounts setup for making loan payments. Gulledge felt it was important to get the purchase of a new vehicle put on the next agenda because the Police Department was short a car.
6:41:18 PM Gulledge Asked if everyone agreed with the purchase. All agreed. It is important to go ahead and place the order for the new squad car to ensure the discounted price. All agreed.
6:42:24 PM Gulledge Agenda item number 5: Park Committee Recommendations. Asked Bell to discuss.
6:42:30 PM Bell Had two recommendations. First: The Edwardsville YMCA would like to use Drost Park Lake for kayak training on Wednesday morning, June 27th.
6:43:41 PM Gulledge Stated the insurance issues had already been handled by the village attorney. Asked if everyone agreed to allow the use of Drost Lake. All agreed. Will be put on the agenda.
6:44:39 PM Bell Second recommendations: The park committee would like to have service bricks placed in the center plaza for any Park Committee member and Trustee who has served at least 5 years. They would like the bricks to look similar to the existing firemen bricks.
6:45:41 PM Gulledge Stated they are 11 or 13 people who have served over 5 years and two trustees who have also served over 5 years. A total of 15 bricks, plus one larger center park committee name brick.
6:46:44 PM short What is the cost of the bricks excluding the cost of the center brick? Gulledge stated the cost would be $25 per brick which would include the brick and etching. The total cost would be estimated to be around $500. Bell stated when the village sells the bricks they are sold for $50 a brick.
6:47:47 PM Gulledge Stated he had some concern about other committees, and if they would also want to have service bricks purchased. He felt the board needed to decided now to allow or not to allow more committees to participate. Gulledge felt it was important to figure out how to respond to the other committees.
6:48:44 PM Kostyshock Asked about all the committee members that were serving before our records were started, how would we know who to include?
6:49:21 PM Vallino Felt if the village is going to do for one committee than they should do it for all the committees.
6:49:44 PM Gulledge Stated it would be hard to do it for all the committees.
6:52:28 PM Vallino Agreed with Kostyshock about including people that served before our records started. Suggested going to the committee members who have been there a long time and asking who has served over 5 years.
6:53:36 PM Gulledge Stated the board needed to come up with some answers to tell the committees no mater if the board decided to allow all the committees or not. Asked what the board wanted to do?
6:55:48 PM Short Had a question about the up-keep cost. Short asked if it would be more cost effective to remove all the existing bricks and then to install all the new and old brick at the same time? What would the cost be later, if the area were to develop damaged underground areas? Short asked if there were other areas the bricks could be put if the space in the center plaza runs out?
6:57:14 PM Bell Stated there would not be a problem with running out of space.
6:59:28 PM Short Asked a question about committee members who have 5 years of service in and are still serving. Will the bricks have a beginning date and then the ending date be added later? Gulledge stated the ending date would be added later.
7:00:05 PM Kostyshock Asked if a committee member who may have been left off the 5 year service list in the beginning, can they be added later? Gulledge answered yes.
7:01:05 PM Short Asked where the cost of the bricks would be coming out of the budget. Gulledge stated the money would come out of the park's budget. Any other committees who would want bricks will also have it come out of their budgets.
7:01:26 PM Vallino Stated everything that is done in the village is done by volunteers and the service bricks are a nice way to recognize them.
7:01:35 PM Gulledge Asked if the board was O.K. with Bells recommendation for the 5 year service bricks for the park committee. All agreed. Asked Bell if he had any other items for the park committee.
7:01:45 PM Bell Stated the Park Budget committee met last Monday, March 26, 2012. Sharon Petty will get the budget information to Clerk Henry.
7:02:12 PM Short Asked if the cost of the bricks will come from this budget year or next years? Gulledge stated it would have to be looked at.
7:03:04 PM Gulledge Agenda item number 8: Calendar Updates.
7:04:42 PM Gulledge Large item pick up is this week, March 26 - 30th. April: Easter Egg Hunt, April 7th, starting at 11 am out in front of the police department. Community service will be held on the morning of the 14th. Go Fly a Kite Day will be in the afternoon of the 14th. Both events will be located at pavilion # 1 in Drost Park. The Planning Commission will meet on the 23rd. The police department will host a seminar on fraud prevention on the 26th.
7:08:16 PM Gulledge Agenda item number 9: Public input. No public input at this time.
7:08:30 PM Gulledge Agenda item number 10: To-do list. Page 1 - No input. Page 2 - No input.
7:08:54 PM Gulledge Agenda item number 11: Trustees Comments
7:09:05 PM Vallino Had no comments
7:09:11 PM Bell Electronic sign out front of village hall may have a lighting problem. The lights seem to be dimmer. The village garden has two applications so far. Asked if no other applications were received before the cut off deadline, would those who receive plots be allowed to have bigger plots? Kostyshock stated the plots are already 20' x 40'.
7:10:40 PM Kostyshock Stated the garden plots look great. Bell asked if the mulch had been put down, if not they should hold off and just do paths between the plots that are being used. Kostyshock wanted to let everyone know that the bass fish were back in the lake. Bell asked when we pick up the fish for the lake? Gulledge stated the fish should be picked up this week.
7:14:19 PM Short Mentioned Kevin Flaugher had mailed a letter to the Union and explained the letter. Short wanted to bring the letter to the trustee's attention and had given everyone a copy to review. Bell stated he visited the remodeled firehouse and thought it was looking good. Kevin Flaugher is trying to get a quote for replacing the ceiling tile so every thing looks the same. Bell asked about the size of the ceiling tiles and suggested a change in the cross grids.
7:18:07 PM Gulledge Agenda item number 12: Mayors Comments. E-waste Drop off this Saturday 9am to 2pm this Saturday (electronics), Sweet Street Maryville Homecoming Parade flyer about floats. Homecoming committee is looking for people to volunteer to create floats for the Parade.
7:20:40 PM Gulledge Called for a motion to adjourn the meeting. Motion by Bell. Second by Kostyshock. Roll call: Vallino - yes, Bell - yes, Kostyshock - yes, Short - yes.
7:20:57 PM Gulledge Meeting adjourned
Respectfully submitted,

 

Christy Lucas, Deputy Clerk

Produced by FTR Log Notes?
www.ftrgold.com

 


The Village of Maryville