Click to Home
Go To Search
 

View Other Items in this Archive | View All Archives | Printable Version

Village of Maryville, Illinois

Description Caucus Minutes
Date10/30/2002 Location Conference Room
Time Speaker Note
6:28:55 PM Gulledge Called the meeting to order, and asked for a roll call of those present. Answering the roll call were Trustees Limberg, Bell, Callahan, Kostyshock, and Garcia.
6:29:32 PM Gulledge Also present were Clerk Long, Comptroller Brussatti, one (1) citizen and Chief Sonnenberg.
6:29:46 PM Gulledge Asked for questions, comments or approval of the minutes of the October 23rd Caucus. Motion by Bell, second by Kostyshock to approve the minutes as submitted by the Clerk. Voting on the motion: Limberg - yes; Bell - yes; Callahan - yes; Kostyshock - yes; Garcia - yes. Motion carried.
6:30:47 PM Bell Attorney Wigginton arrived, as well as Diana Hedrick of the Park Committee. Bell discussed the Park Committee recommendations. They are recommending helping the Khoury League with installing more dugouts ,and some foul line fence. The committee suggests paying for four (4) dugouts for a maximum of $6000.00, which the Khoury League will pay for in advance, and the Park Board will reimburse them from next year's budget.
6:32:37 PM Limberg Asked about the Khoury League finances.
6:32:47 PM Hedrick Replied that the committee does not receive a report from the Khoury League.
6:32:58 PM Bell Spoke about some of the Khoury League plans. They plan on purchasing the benches for the dugouts as they did last time. They also want to either move the current shed or build a new shed west of the concession stand. This would be with prior approval of the Park Committee.
6:33:43 PM Gulledge Asked if this is a not for profit organization, are they supposed to show an ending balance.
6:34:48 PM Callahan Replied that technically they are supposed to spend what they bring in, however they must carry some finances forward to begin the new season. He said the Village used to have a financial arrangement with them, but when they had financial difficulties they did not and do not pay any utilities.
6:35:43 PM Hedrick Asked if this new group had an arrangement similar to the old group.
6:36:12 PM Gulledge Replied that he had told them that the Village was aware of their financial problems, and would give them a chance to get back on their feet again. He will have discussion with the Khoury Officials about reciprocation as well as the upkeep of the concession building. He said he is not pleased with the way the new building looks.
6:37:27 PM Limberg Said it would be nice if they would show the Park Committee and the Village the position of the finances. If they are financially secure they should take care of some of the things the Village is paying.
6:38:41 PM Bell They came to Park Board with a request for help on the fields. The Park Board does not mind because it is a part of the park and belongs to the Village.
6:39:35 PM Hedrick Suggests an agreement between Khoury and Village for financial arrangements.
6:40:57 PM Bell Recommends this item be on agenda at next board meeting.
6:41:38 PM Wieman Said they must give receipts for expenditures.
6:42:50 PM Callahan Asked if they provided the Village with proof of insurance.
6:42:58 PM Brussatti Answered yes.
6:43:11 PM Bell Spoke further about the Khoury League moving the storage shed. If it can be moved without being damaged, they will. However, if it is destroyed in the move, they plan to build another building similar to the current one.
6:43:40 PM Gulledge Replied if they are paying for it he has no problem with the building being moved or rebuilt.
6:43:53 PM Wigginton Suggested that it is a shed compatible to the rest of the buildings.
6:44:24 PM Gulledge Asked if any trustee had a problem with moving the shed. It was the consensus of those trustees present to proceed.
6:44:49 PM Callahan Commented the biggest problem with Khoury League is they are the only ones using the fields. He feels that they do need to show they are paying their way, especially if another group approached the Village for permission to use the fields.
6:45:44 PM Bell Discussed the purchase of 10' bike rack in the amount of $278. 00 from Enkelman Recreation. It will be installed on Parkview where bike trail intercepts the walking trail in Drost Park.
6:46:45 PM Gulledge Asked how it will be secured.
6:46:54 PM Hedrick Answered it is a pedestal type, and will be concreted in the ground .
6:47:37 PM Gulledge Said this will be on agenda for next meeting.
6:47:53 PM Bell Reported that the Park Board is working on a long range plan. Some of the items listed are playground additions for bigger kids, playground maintenance and upgrade.
6:49:43 PM Bell Said they would like to see activities added over the years, upgrade the equipment and playgrounds, also increase some of the playgrounds, get more picnic tables, benches, and pavilions. They would like to increase the parking areas, add more trees, and upgrade the walking trail. The 2003 long range plan is estimated at $71,000.
6:53:03 PM Hedrick Reminded the Board that this is a long range plan only, the first step to an annual budget.
6:53:46 PM Gulledge Said it is good to have long range plans. He said the meeting on Drost Park Lake today went well.
6:55:09 PM Callahan Said he thinks the best way is do it right from the start and finance it over the four yeas of their long range plan. He also asked about the step and the equipment now installed. He still feels there should be a step.
6:55:58 PM Gulledge Replied that he called about it, and the lady told him it was a safety feature, there is no step.
6:56:24 PM Bell Discussed the maintenance agreement from BusCom for the recording system and audio system. The projectors are not included, audio only. The basic agreement is 8-5 Monday through Friday support for a cost of $3169. The comprehensive maintenance agreement covers all labor and parts 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year for a total cost of $4436. He thinks this plan also give free software upgrades.
7:00:43 PM Gulledge Said he was overwhelmed by the cost.
7:01:53 PM Sonnenberg Asked why there is not a 12 mo warranty instead of just a 90 day.
7:02:35 PM Bell Suggested that the Attorney should look through the agreement and give his opinion, discuss at next caucus.
7:05:03 PM Callahan Asked if anyone else provides this service.
7:05:25 PM Bell Said he did not know, probably is, but would not recommend just anyone working on equipment.
7:06:29 PM Gulledge Said that maybe this should be put out for bid with the specs listed. Perhaps there are others who can maintain the equipment, or at least it would give an idea of how accurate BusCom is in their pricing.
7:06:47 PM Sonnenberg Discussed a vehicle to be purchased for the Police Department. Officer Kanzler has done the basic research on the 2003 Crown Victoria. Landmark Ford has the State Bid contract. He briefly discussed an enhanced system which has been added to eliminate some of the problems with burned out fuses. The basic price is $20,469. The Chevy is $500 to $900 less than the Ford. Also he said Landmark has 60-day delivery at the current time. He suggests the trustees look at the material he has given them, and when other information on other vehicles comes in he will get it to them.
7:10:00 PM Gulledge Asked how many miles is on the car that will be taken out of the fleet has on it, and who drives it.
7:10:07 PM Sonnenberg Replied that is has over 58,000 miles. Spaller and Radosivich drive it.
7:10:49 PM Sonnenberg Discussed interviews with Telecommunicator applicants. The first choice applicant called today and declined full time, which leads to the second choice.
7:12:06 PM Gulledge Said the second choice applicant is part time with Troy. She works full time at a truck stop, and has for 11-12 years. She is qualified, and if the Board is in favor, she needs to get started on the physical and drug tests. Brussatti will set up appointments and if she comes back with satisfactory results, will be hired. There may have to be a special meeting to do so.
7:15:12 PM Sonnenberg Asked, and received permission to notify her. She will call Brussatti.
7:16:39 PM Sonnenberg Next discussed the school crossing guard issue. Superintendent, principal, and the president of the PTA have spoken to Officer Finley. They don't want the Village to be involved in the issue. They have hired 3 or 4 part time people to monitor the crosswalks. He recommends dropping the issue.
7:19:20 PM Gulledge Said he agrees and has had the sign taken down and will not pursue the matter any further.
7:20:33 PM Sonnenberg Reported on the condition of Jason Garrett . He had surgery, was released, and is doing well.
7:20:56 PM Gulledge Asked Brussatti and Attorney Wigginton to discuss the tax levy.
7:21:30 PM Wigginton Said last year we estimated the assessed evaluation of the Village at $68,000,000. This was under estimated, as it was $73,291,000. This year the assessed evaluation based on building permits and day to day operations coming through this offices, is $83,000,000. This being more than 5%, a public hearing will be required. Based on his calculations, he said the increase is substantial . It is approximately 22%. He discussed and explained each line item in the levy.
7:24:47 PM Garcia Asked how much this will raise taxes.
7:27:11 PM Wigginton Said he estimates about $42 on a house with a value of $150,000.
7:28:09 PM Gulledge Said he hates to see taxes go up. School tax is up, County is up.
7:29:15 PM Wigginton Gave a formula to get a new maximum
7:30:09 PM Gulledge Wants to stay as close as possible to the 1.0173 we received last year.
7:31:02 PM Callahan Disagrees with lowering the rate.
7:33:51 PM Wigginton Said the Village has been very close in estimating with exception of last year.
7:40:07 PM Brussatti Discussed the liability insurance. He said it is high because of workmen's comp claims, etc.
7:44:10 PM Callahan Discussed Enterprise Auto leaving, and he feels it would be a good idea to offer tax incentives to prospective businesses in that area.
7:45:52 PM Brussatti Said the Village also lost money in IMRF. This is due mainly to new hires.
7:46:23 PM Gulledge Asked the trustees their opinion. Callahan, Kostyshock, and Limberg were in favor of leaving the levy as Brussatti has submitted. Garcia was not in favor.
7:51:47 PM Callahan Discussed deficits in some of the accounts.
7:52:12 PM Gulledge Authorized Attorney Wigginton and Clerk Long to proceed.
7:52:39 PM Gulledge Discussed the material from AmLegal Codification. It is very difficult to understand.
7:53:16 PM Wigginton Said there would be a meeting Friday, at 9:30 am to discuss the codification.
7:56:20 PM Limberg Discussed selling two vehicles in Public Works. There is a pickup and a dump truck that should be sold.
7:57:11 PM Gulledge Asked the attorney to draw up an ordinance, have sealed bids, and a 30 day time period for the next Board Meeting.
7:58:18 PM Gulledge Said the159 agreement with IDOT will also be on the agenda at the Board Meeting.
7:58:42 PM Gulledge Also there will be an ordinance relating to stop signs. He asked if any trustee knew of any more stop signs needed to let him know.
7:58:56 PM Kostyshock Said the one stop sign should read West Perry instead of East Perry.
7:59:38 PM Limberg/Gulledge Discussed the generator contract for the water plant from CK Powers. The renewal is the same as last year. This will be on the agenda.
8:00:19 PM Callahan Discussed the annual IML Risk Management Contribution. There is a discount if this is paid in advance. To save 2%, he recommends paying in advance. He asked about the cleaning contract.
8:02:26 PM Gulledge Said he is still working on it. Will have an ad put in the newspapers, probably the Times Tribune, and the Edwardsville Intelligencer. Will accept applications until Dec 2.
8:05:58 PM Callahan Asked if there was a salary range set.
8:06:08 PM Gulledge Replied that the attorney advises not to list salary.
8:07:08 PM Kostyshock Reported that the temporary sign at Bobby's has been replaced with a permanent sign, and the catering place 30 day sign is down.
8:07:54 PM Callahan Asked about the canine grooming place temporary sign.
8:08:17 PM Gulledge Replied that he has asked Kevin to call them again and ask about it, but he has not heard back from Kevin.
8:08:40 PM Callahan Discussed the political signs. He thinks most are illegal.
8:09:07 PM Gulledge Said they have to be down Tuesday. He suggests either changing the ordinance, or next election remove them immediately.
8:09:43 PM Callahan Said he doesn't care, but, the ordinance should be followed.
8:10:22 PM Wigginton Suggested the Village send letters to the candidates before the March election, telling them they allowed the signs this time, but will not allow them for the next election unless they are the proper size.
8:10:59 PM Gulledge Said he will send the letter with his signature on it.
8:12:12 PM Callahan Asked if the size of the sign would be increased in the ordinance before a letter is sent.
8:13:04 PM Gulledge Replied that unless the Board tells him otherwise, he intends to leave the ordinance as is.
8:16:04 PM Garcia Recommends taking political sign portion out of the ordinance.
8:17:18 PM Gulledge Said this will be discussed at the next caucus.
8:18:02 PM Kostyshock Said Building & Zoning is working on temporary signs, weeds, etc. He is still getting articles for museum. Collection of birds and small animals, etc. and a big glass case have been added.
8:23:17 PM Garcia Asked Attorney Wigginton to look over the contract for direct deposit. She discussed the program for dedication ceremony.
8:25:03 PM Limberg Discussed the recommendations of the Planning Commission meeting. There were preliminary plats they approved - Executive Plaza, and a PDR to accommodate the extra lake.
8:26:30 PM Garcia Asked about the meeting with Keller and John Brancaglione.
8:27:34 PM Gulledge Said he believes that Keller will be going in another direction. He discussed a pre-construction meeting at 9 a.m. Wednesday, November 13th on the West Main project at County. He said he intends to tell them the road cannot be torn up all winter. Also, reminded the Board of the Public Hearings for water service. He reported the carpet upstairs has been cleaned. He discussed the police station, they are still behind on the work to be done. Bricks in the plaza are still uneven. He also discussed the up to date list of bills for the Expansion not paid to Hart.
8:37:57 PM Kostyshock Reminded everyone about the election next Tuesday.
8:40:31 PM Gulledge With nothing further to discuss , the meeting adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,

Thelma Long, Village Clerk

Produced by FTR Log Notes
www.FTRGold.com


The Village of Maryville