Click to Home
Go To Search
 

View Other Items in this Archive | View All Archives | Printable Version

Village of Maryville, Illinois

Description Caucus Minutes
Date11/13/2002 Location Conference Room
Time Speaker Note
6:37:02 PM Gulledge Called the meeting to order, and asked for roll call of those officers present, to wit. Answering the roll were: Trustees Limberg, Edwards, Bell, Kostyshock, and Garcia. Trustee Callahan was absent.
6:38:15 PM Gulledge Stated for the record that Clerk Long, Water/Sewer Superintendent Presson, Street Superintendent Mann, Chief Sonnenberg , Attorney Wigginton, and one (1) reporter were also present.
6:38:34 PM Gulledge Called for approval of the minutes of the October 30th Caucus meeting. Motion by Kostyshock, second by Limberg to approve the minutes as submitted by the Clerk.
6:38:54 PM Long Voting on the motion: Limberg - yes; Edwards - yes; Bell - yes; Kostyshock - yes; Garcia - yes. Motion carried.
6:39:11 PM Gulledge Asked those present if they had anything to discuss or ask Chief Sonnenberg. There was nothing.
6:39:32 PM Limberg Passed out information on the backhoe to the trustees, and turned the discussion over to Presson.
6:40:40 PM Presson Spoke briefly about the similarity of backhoes. The ones we have now, and the new ones.
6:41:45 PM Edwards Asked if both backhoes were being traded in.  He said he thought they were to be rotated.
6:42:47 PM Presson Continued on with an explanation of the costs and some of the features. One of the backhoes will have a concrete breaker on it. The ride control feature will be included.
6:44:07 PM Gulledge Asked what the ride control was for.  Presson explained it takes the bumps out while driving. The bucket automatically lowers when a bump is hit.
6:44:49 PM Limberg Asked if the options were included in the base price. He was told they were not.
6:45:30 PM Edwards Asked if the backhoe is driven to a job site, or do the workers use a trailer?
6:45:55 PM Presson Replied that most of the time they are driven.
6:46:28 PM Edwards Feels the backhoe should be carried on the trailer instead of being driven.
6:46:53 PM Mann Responded that most of the work is done in town and it is a hassle to put the backhoe on and off the trailer.
6:47:23 PM Edwards Explained he meant on long trips.
6:47:45 PM Gulledge Confirmed that the backhoes are put on trailer for long trips.
6:48:18 PM Presson Said it doesn't make a difference to him if the Village chooses to buy one or two, but would want the right shift.  Also agrees with Mann about the concrete breaker.
6:49:46 PM Gulledge Spoke about difficulty in cement repairs. He feels we need one backhoe with the concrete breaker.
6:50:52 PM Limberg Asked the Board to approve the lease agreement for two backhoes.
6:51:10 PM Gulledge Asked about trading in one this year, and the other next year, to get back to a rotation schedule. And, what this would do to the trade-in value.
6:51:58 PM Bell Said it looks like the value drops about $5000 a year.
6:52:15 PM Limberg Asked Presson how the backhoes are running.
6:52:43 PM Presson Replied they are both in good shape.
6:52:55 PM Gulledge Suggests getting on a rotation basis. The trustees agreed.
6:53:23 PM Edwards Said if the one kept starts giving problems, then do something about it.
6:54:08 PM Gulledge Said the purchase of one J. I. Case Backhoe with ride control and rear auxiliary will be on the agenda at the next meeting. Also the purchase of one concrete breaker. These items will be purchased from the street department fund.
6:56:20 PM Edwards Asked why a hydraulic system is requested on one, but not the other.
6:56:52 PM Presson Said the hydraulics would be needed for the backhoe that has the jackhammer.
6:56:52 PM Edwards Commented that there is a hydraulic kit purchased in connection with the jackhammer, therefore, why would there be a need for another hydraulic system.
6:56:52 PM Presson Replied he will check into this.
6:58:24 PM Gulledge Said he saw the double hydraulic price also. This will be checked out. The kit may not be needed. This will be on the agenda for the next Board Meeting, and will be purchased from the General Fund.
7:00:25 PM Limberg Discussed a full time maintenance person . He feels it is imperative to have a person available to take care of repairs, oil changes, etc. He talked about the duties. The maintenance person will do service on all Village vehicles. He asked that the Board approve a current full time employee, Jim Goetter, for the position.
7:03:51 PM Gulledge Said that even though this would be his primary job, if an emergency comes up, he will still be available. Also his jobs will be coordinated with Presson.
7:04:57 PM Presson Said he plans to notify the department head in advance of work to be done, so plans can be made accordingly. He spoke about putting records on the computer, and keeping track of what has been done and what needs to be done.
7:06:17 PM Chief Said this is fine for vehicles coming out of warranty. However, warranty calls for premium quality work and supplies.
7:07:08 PM Gulledge Assured him there would be no substandard materials in any vehicle. He suggested each department head make a list of the vehicles, what's under warranty, any problems there may be and give the list to Presson.
7:08:53 PM Edwards Discussed the fact that everything should be directed to Presson. He wants to be sure everything goes thru him. He doesn't feel it is a good idea to let the department heads give Goetter jobs to do.
7:10:06 PM Gulledge Said his boss will be Presson, and the department heads should address anything they need done to him.
7:11:29 PM Kostyshock Agrees, thinks this is a good idea.
7:12:24 PM Edwards Doesn't think the position should be created.
7:12:54 PM Garcia Explained that the Board is not creating a position, only adding to his responsibilities
7:13:25 PM Bell Said he will stay on the same pay scale. His job title doesn't change.
7:14:33 PM Limberg Said this was discussed before , and there was a majority of the trustees in favor of a maintenance person.
7:14:53 PM Gulledge Said if it doesn't work out, it can always change it back.
7:17:41 PM Limberg Discussed the need to purchase some tools for the maintenance work that will be done. Also, it was made clear that either Goetter or Presson will be responsible for the safekeeping of the tools. The purchase of tools in the amount of $1272.88 will be on agenda at the next Board meeting.
7:20:01 PM Limberg Next, talked about purchasing uniforms for water clerk. He thinks she should be supplied with uniforms since she is a Public Works employee.
7:21:03 PM Gulledge Replied that where does the Village draw the line on who has uniforms and who doesn't. He sees no need to have the water clerk in uniform. It is not like the outside crews who need to be identified as Village workers. She is inside, in the water office. He commented that the Village doesn't buy uniforms for Building and Zoning. They each were bought five (5) t-shirts. He talked about excessive spending in all departments. He asked that careful consideration be given as to the need for purchasing items.
7:23:22 PM Limberg Suggested purchasing Three (3) shirts with the logo.
7:23:46 PM Bell Said doesn't feel the need for uniform for someone inside in an office. However, he agrees those who are working out in the public should have uniforms.
7:25:17 PM Edwards Suggested perhaps buying smocks.
7:26:05 PM Gulledge Asked what if she gets tired of wearing the same thing. What happens to the shirts or uniforms then.
7:29:35 PM Kostyshock Said he agrees with the Mayor on where does it end. Who gets shirts, etc.
7:29:45 PM Limberg Suggested purchasing 3 shirts with "Public Works" on it. The Trustees were in favor of this.
7:30:13 PM Sonnenberg Asked about an indicator for lobby in Village Hall.
7:31:09 PM Gulledge Replied he has talked with Doug Cooper from BarCom an alarm that will ring in the Water office and also in the hallway in case no one is in the office. He said this can be done, and he is supposed to get back with the details.
7:32:08 PM Bell Discussed BusCom contract. He talked about the coverage on the audio, etc. Without maintenance program the fee is $210.00 per hour during normal hours and $315.00 after hours and weekend and holidays. The basic maintenance agreement is $3169 annually and also includes software updates. The Village has approximately $35,000.00 in this equipment. He suggests purchasing a basic maintenance contract.
7:34:26 PM Gulledge Asked the Board for their opinion.
7:34:42 PM Bell Said he realizes that $3100 is pricey for a maintenance program, however the equipment is very expensive. There is not a lot of moving parts. Recommends basic maintenance program.
7:36:12 PM Kostyshock Asked about the warranty on the equipment. He was told the warranty was for 90 days.
7:36:41 PM Garcia Asked what happens if we don't take the maintenance program, and something happens, then can maintenance be purchased.
7:37:42 PM Sonnenberg Asked if travel time is covered. Bell replied that it is.
7:38:40 PM Gulledge Replied that Bell has given his recommendation, and asked the board what they want to do.
7:39:13 PM Kostyshock Asked if anyone else could do the work.
7:40:16 PM Bell Replied he doesn't think so. Perhaps on the P A system, but not the other equipment.
7:42:22 PM Gulledge Asked for the consensus of board. Kostyshock - no, Garcia - no, Limberg - yes, Edwards - yes, Bell - yes. this will be on the agenda for the November 20th meeting.
7:43:34 PM Gulledge Suggested postponing the review of the sign ordinance until the next caucus.
7:43:56 PM Gulledge Asked Attorney Wigginton & Brussatti to discuss the tax levy and gave a brief explanation on what was discussed at the last caucus meeting.
7:44:47 PM Gulledge Called for break before discussing the levy.
7:51:22 PM   Resume from break
7:51:58 PM Wigginton Discussed the levy by giving some background on last year's estimated valuation The estimate was $68,000,000.00 and the actual EAV was $73,271,460. Underestimating the growth was successful in lowering or keeping the tax rates the same. One option to keep the rate the same would be $844,000.00. Comptroller Brussatti has estimated $914,389.00. This is 8.4% higher than last year. He said he understands Brussatti trying to make up the deficit in some accounts that do not have caps. Because of continued growth, the EAV is going up. Wigginton said the issue is to keep the tax rate the same by reducing some of the figures, or take the maximum and increase the rate. $844,359.00 keeps the rate down, $914389.00 will cause an increase in taxes.
8:00:48 PM Bell Said he doesn't want a tax increase.
8:01:06 PM Wigginton Replies that the best way to figure the levy so there is no increase is to use the 83 million figure, times last years tax rate and divide among categories.
8:02:14 PM Gulledge Said in the interest of taxpayers, he wants to keep the rate the same, or drop it some. The County will probably have tax rate increase next year, and school board's last half of increase due to referendum. Thinks the board should work along the lines of keeping the tax rate the same or lower. He opened the discussion to the trustees for questions and comments.
8:06:09 PM Bell Had questions on the EAV. He wanted to know how the figure for the value is determined. Attorney explained it is a good faith estimate.
8:08:02 PM Gulledge Asked Brussatti if he has figured enough to cover the funds that are in deficits.
8:08:42 PM Brussatti Replied he feels he has. He said his figured are based on wages.
8:11:03 PM Bell Said if the Village missed the estimate by 8%, he would be in favor of going up 4%.
8:11:58 PM Gulledge Explained how the $83,000,000.00 figure was arrived at.
8:13:17 PM Wigginton Reminded the board that the village does get other money.
8:13:56 PM Kostyshock Said he thinks the dept. heads can do a better job managing and feels there is no need to hire anyone. He is in favor of lowering the taxes.
8:15:31 PM Bell Said he would like to keep the tax rate the same, but increase the estimate a little.
8:17:14 PM Gulledge Said he would consider raising the EAV to $85,000,000.
8:17:36 PM Kostyshock Still wants to lower tax. He feels that the Board and Department Heads can manage the money better.
8:18:34 PM Edwards Said he feels the Village should keep tax rate same. However, he said with the growth of the town more people may have to be hired to continue to give good service.
8:19:50 PM Bell Remarked that the raising the EAV will not increase the taxes.
8:20:34 PM Gulledge Polled the trustees. The consensus of the Board was to drop the rate. The EAV will be $83,000,000.00.
8:24:05 PM Kostyshock Reported that Charter parking lot has been paved. He talked about Christmas lights. He had the Centennial Banners removed to make room for the lights. He again said he thinks we need to cut costs before things do get out of hand.
8:25:21 PM Edwards Said that they are still a man short on Police Dept. There has been no replacement for Bornemann. There are three officers out, either injured or in training. He is asking permission to go out for testing and get an eligibility list started. He said because of the grant, Bornemann's position should be filled.
8:26:41 PM Brussatti Explained the Cops Fast grant. He called the grant personnel and he was told the grant is used up. Also they told him the Village just has to maintain ten officers, which is what the current roster is.
8:27:45 PM Gulledge Said he has talked with Chief. He thought Howe's training was 8 weeks, and it turned out to be 12 weeks. Officer Garret t is out due to surgery.
8:29:55 PM Limberg Asked if a case worker was actively pursuing this, and other workmen's comp claims.
8:30:49 PM Edwards Said he doesn't want only one officer on the street.
8:31:18 PM Gulledge Suggested instead of 2 officers and Chief, have one officer and Chief on days. Then the other officer can fill one of the two man slots. The twelve hour schedule is supposed to be in effect,
8:35:04 PM Edwards Said he doesn't want to hire anyone, but wants to test for future reference.
8:35:44 PM Bell Reported that the e-mail is set up, and he will be setting up a new hosting service. He also discussed some information he receives on e-government and electronic records. He wants to go to eventually go e-government. It would greatly reduce the paper the Village uses in the packets every week.
8:39:28 PM Gulledge Discussed the Caucus on the 27th, the day before Thanksgiving. He asked for the consensus of board. It was their consensus to cancel the meeting. Next, he discussed the Village Christmas party. Village Hall will be closed the 24th & 25th. He recommends having the party on the23rd. Village Hall will close at Noon, and the party will be at Senior Building. Board agrees. He briefly discussed the Fire Department's pay. It will be on the agenda for the Dec 4th Board meeting. He will send totals and recommendation in the Trustee's packets.
8:43:19 PM   With nothing further to discuss the meeting adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,

Thelma Long, Village Clerk

Produced by FTR Log Notes
www.FTRGold.com


The Village of Maryville