Click to Home
Go To Search
 

View Other Items in this Archive | View All Archives | Printable Version

Village of Maryville, Illinois

Description caucus minutes
Date5/14/2003 Location Conference Room
Time Speaker Note
6:29:25 PM Gulledge Called the Caucus meeting to order, and asked for a roll call of those officers present to wit. Answering present to the roll call were Trustees Limberg, Schmidt, Bell, Callahan, Kostyshock, and Garcia.
6:29:58 PM Gulledge Asked if there were any questions, additions or subtractions to the April 23rd minutes. There were none. Motion by Schmidt, second by Kostyshock to approve the minutes as submitted by the clerk. Voting on the motion: Limberg - yes; Schmidt - yes; Bell - yes; Callahan - yes; Kostyshock - yes; Garcia - yes. Motion carried.
6:30:41 PM Gulledge Asked if there were any questions, additions or subtractions to the April 30th minutes. There were none. Motion by Kostyshock, second by Limberg to approve the minutes as submitted by the clerk. Voting on the motion: Limberg - yes; Schmidt - yes; Bell - yes; Callahan - yes; Kostyshock - yes; Garcia - yes. Motion carried.
6:31:36 PM Gulledge Asked Marvin Brussatti to discuss the first item on the agenda - the cleaning service.
6:31:47 PM Brussatti Reported that he received five (5) applications for the cleaning service. He contacted all of them, however three didn't show up or return a bid. The two that did return a bid is AAA Janitorial, who is the former cleaning service, and Kroder Janitorial Service. Of the two, Kroder was best bid. He said after talking with Kroder several times, he feels he would do a good job, and he recommends giving him a try. He also said the Village doesn't have to enter into a long term contract with Kroder at this time.
6:33:43 PM Gulledge Explained that some duties are to be done three days a week, some will be done on a monthly basis. and Kroder Janitorial Service will supply all cleaning chemicals. The Village will supply toilet paper, paper towels, trash bags, and liquid hand soap. The Police Department will be cleaned on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. The Administration Building will be cleaned on Tuesday and Friday, and the Senior Center will be checked once a week and cleaned.
6:34:13 PM Kostyshock Asked about the Public Works Building.
6:34:38 PM Gulledge Replied that Public Works or Fire Department were not included. The small area to be cleaned in these buildings can be done by the employees utilizing the building, as they do now.
6:34:44 PM Garcia Said the bid does not specify cleaning restrooms.
6:35:01 PM Gulledge Replied that he noticed that and a few other things that should be included. He is not going to accept the bid until the items are listed. He wants the attorney to look over the contract before it is signed. He is asking for approval to do this on a 30 day schedule for five or six months to see how they do, and how it works out. He also wants the change on the Senior Building to one time a week, preferably on Friday.
6:36:07 PM Bell Asked what the other service was charging when they were doing the cleaning. He was told that prior to the additions to the buildings, it was $685 per month and then raised to $888. However, the service was poor. He asked what kind of references Kroder has.
6:36:34 PM Brussatti Said he called the references he had listed.
6:37:03 PM Gulledge Said he will have the bid changed to be more specific. He is asking for the Board's opinion to give him a try for at least 30 days. He said Brussatti did a good job on the price.
6:38:36 PM Schmidt Asked when he could start.
6:38:48 PM Brussatti Replied not until after approval.
6:40:57 PM Gulledge Asked the trustees their opinion. All agreed to try him for 30 days.
6:41:48 PM Brussatti Discussed postage meter bids. He has a quote from Pitney Bowes and one from Watts. Our Pitney Bowes contract is up. It was for 5 years. In comparison of the service, Watts bid is about $40.00 per month less than Pitney Bowes. A 60 month with Pitney Bowes is $115; 48 month is $123. With Watts, a 60 month plan is $81, and 48 month is $86.
6:44:39 PM Limberg Asked if the functions were the same. He was told they were.
6:44:52 PM Brussatti Gave comparisons on each machine.
6:46:00 PM Schmidt Asked how much postage was used in a month. He was told approximately $250.00.
6:46:52 PM Garcia Asked if anything was mailed "bulk". She was told the water bills are, but anything else has to be at least 500 pieces to qualify for bulk postage. She suggested the 60 month plan from Watts for $81.00.
6:47:18 PM Bell Said 24 month would be better since it is a different machine and company. He talked briefly about the specs on the machines.
6:48:29 PM Gulledge Said he is for trying the Watts, and asked the trustees to determine the time period. Kostyshock suggested trying the Watts on a 60 month term. Mayor asked the trustees their opinion. Callahan, Kostyshock, Garcia and Limberg said yes. Schmidt and Bell said no.
6:52:10 PM Schmidt Asked if they went with Pitney Bowes, would the Village get a new machine.
6:52:44 PM Brussatti Said it would be a different machine than the one currently in use.
6:52:54 PM Presson Discussed dirty water complaints. He said most of the time, dirty water is caused by the iron and magnesium in the system. He said he has been researching for about six months, talking with different companies and plant operators, etc. He has talked with a company called Water Solutions Unlimited, Inc. about the problem. Currently, the Village feeds a 70/30% phosphate , which is required because of the lead and copper. At the time, this was they way to go, however over the years with corrosion, etc. it needs to be rethought. He said now the best way is to up the poly and lower the ortho. This company has a new system called the "Mini-Bulk System". This system is provided free of charge. They will completely upgrade all the feed lines at no cost. They will prepare all permits at no cost to the Village. The only thing the Village will have to do is buy a new chemical feed pump, which costs about $550.00, and will last 10 to 15 years. He said currently the Village is paying $9.66 per gallon of poly-phosphate, they will give it to the Village for $7.00 per gallon. They will adjust the poly-phosphate on monthly basis until Village is satisfied with the quality. Within six months, with this system will eliminate 99% of dirty water complaints.
6:57:14 PM Gulledge Said Juneau has checked on this with Presson.
6:58:08 PM Presson Said the company maintains all the equipment except feed pump.
6:59:03 PM Callahan Asked if it is EPA approved.
7:00:00 PM Presson Said it will be. The system will not be started until all permits have been approved.
7:00:11 PM Gulledge Asked opinion of trustees. They agreed to allow Presson to proceed.
7:03:31 PM Gulledge Discussed the Bright Ideas grant from Illinois Power. The Village received $5000 a few years back for lights for the Khoury League. This grant must be submitted by May 31st. He asked for ideas, and told them that this grant is for $3,000.
7:04:38 PM Bell Suggests a skateboard park.
7:05:39 PM Callahan Asked if it had to be something with electricity. He was told no.
7:06:31 PM Bell Suggested lights for a ball field.
7:06:49 PM Gulledge Said he and Callahan looked into that five years ago, and then it costs approximately $30,000.00 per field. Now, it would be closer to $45,000.00. He asked that the trustees try to come up with some ideas between now and the next caucus.
7:07:51 PM Gulledge Discussed the water main sale to Collinsville, and the agreement he received. The price is what was agreed upon, and everything is in order. Juneau has looked it over, and the attorney will look over it also. If there are no problems, it will be on the Board Meeting agenda.
7:11:18 PM Gulledge Talked briefly about the codification. He has received an updated copy. This will be on the Planning Commission meeting agenda for June 2nd. There must be two public hearings. There will be an update at the next caucus on May 28.
7:13:00 PM Bell Asked about the on line information, and how close they are to sending it.
7:13:17 PM Gulledge Said they are waiting for the final okay from the Village, and they promise delivery 30 days after the final okay.
7:14:40 PM Callahan Talked about changes in the zoning ordinance about notification of adjacent property owner. He suggests one other change. When the property on West Main annexed in as SR-2 instead of SR-1, should the adjacent property owners have been notified. He said he was told there were people not living in the village, but owned adjacent property, were upset because of the smaller homes being built there.
7:19:32 PM Gulledge Discussed the pros & cons of the notification to adjacent property owners. He said he feels that the job of the Village Board and himself is to serve the residents of the Village. However, he is not opposed to notifying adjacent owners.
7:21:27 PM Callahan Said there has been an agreement that from now on if there is a request for a zoning change, the adjacent property owners will be notified. If there would be a piece of property that is zoned agricultural, and the Village Plan had at some point determined that it should be residential, and the Village changes it to commercial, is that proper.
7:22:13 PM Bell Said, that in a case such as that, the people should know.
7:22:32 PM Gulledge Said he thinks they are talking about the comprehensive plan, and it changes all the time. The plan is a blueprint only. He said it is time to update the current plan, as it will be five years in August.
7:23:27 PM Callahan Asked if it would be valid to form a business or TIF district, or would it have to be redone.
7:24:07 PM Gulledge Replied he thinks it would have to be redone.
7:26:30 PM Kostyshock Announced a brush drop off on Saturday, May 31st from 8 a.m. -12 p.m. residents can take their brush to the water tower. The new fountain for the Memorial Plaza will be installed tomorrow. A new light pole for the flag has been installed.
7:31:13 PM Callahan Suggests more landscaping in back.
7:32:17 PM Schmidt Said the landscaping around Drost Park Comfort Station looks terrible, it is in bad shape. It really needs to be fixed up.
7:35:52 PM Garcia Said the flowers are going to have to be watered.
7:36:18 PM Kostyshock Talked about dead trees that need to be replaced.
7:37:52 PM Kostyshock Mentioned that when raises were discussed, there were none mentioned for the Fire Department. He announced that Public Works is accepting applications for employment.
7:39:01 PM Garcia Said the police officer want cards with their picture on them to give out to the public.
7:40:36 PM Gulledge Said this is something that the new chief can decide.
7:41:12 PM Garcia Ask why go out for applications, shouldn't the next guy in line from the other applications.
7:42:19 PM Gulledge Said Presson suggested advertising again, and he agrees.
7:43:25 PM Garcia Asked if the Village really needs another zoning officer. She suggests looking at making it part time.
7:44:09 PM Callahan Said that in the interviews, the applicants for chief of police had some good ideas on code enforcement.
7:44:40 PM Limberg Said that someone would have to do inspections, etc when the Administrator is on vacation, or not available for other reasons.
7:45:34 PM Schmidt Said he wants to go out for applications.
7:46:37 PM Gulledge Suggests bringing Flaugher in on the 28th and talk to him. Let him explain the need.
7:47:34 PM Limberg Becky Springer is requesting a transcriber for the transcripts and reports she does.
7:50:15 PM Garcia Asked if she types the officer's reports.
7:51:38 PM Limberg Said he wants to talk with Trustee Bell, and also will get more prices. He prefers to wait until the new chief is in office.
7:52:00 PM Bell Talked about the need for an upgrade plan on the older computers. They should be changed out every two years or so.
7:55:12 PM Schmidt Talked about the condition of streets, namely Daniel and Robert. Mayor told him these are on the list for repair this year, along with several others.
7:56:00 PM Schmidt Asked if it is about time for the Centennial signs to be taken down from population signs. He was told it was.
7:56:52 PM Callahan Asked if a Maryville flag had been made to replace the Centennial flag. He was told no.
7:57:17 PM Schmidt Talked about HB 1195. He has been monitoring it, and it has passed both the House and the Senate, but has not been signed into law yet. He asked about the status on West Main.
7:58:41 PM Gulledge Said Ameritech is out there working on moving their utilities. All utilities must be moved before any work can proceed.
8:00:46 PM Schmidt He asked if there was supposed to be a stop sign at 159 and An-Ja-Lo Drive. He was told him no, it is a private road. He said he can have a Madison County Health person to come in and talk about West Nile Virus. He asked about the deadline on the sewer study. He was told the deadline is May 27th.
8:08:59 PM Bell Reported as a matter of information on the bike trail, electric scooters are not permitted, electric bikes and electric wheel chairs are. The table is now legal matter. he talked about fixing the front porch. He showed a sample of resurfacing, colors, designs, etc.
8:14:59 PM Callahan Said he is for fixing the porch, repair the wood, etc.
8:16:01 PM Kostyshock Said this is a fairly new surface, it is about 1/8 inch thick, and there are several designs and colors to choose from. The cost would be from $2000 and up, depending on what is done.
8:18:45 PM Gulledge Said this should go out for bid.
8:19:36 PM Bell Suggests not making it a brick design, make it a plain surface and solid colors, maybe an edge.
8:20:10 PM Gulledge Said Friday, May 16th at 2 p.m. there will be a photo session for the $50,000 grant that has been awarded to the Village. Anyone who wants to go can. He talked about a grant submitted by Sonnenberg. He received notification that it was denied. Thursday, May 21st is the Council of Mayors meeting. Anyone who wants to attend should let him know. Talked about the trailer that will be on St. Luke's parking lot for one week in September. He asked the trustees their opinion. All agreed it would be okay. He spoke briefly about the tax levy. The assessed value was higher than anyone thought, the tax rate is now .9946.
8:25:56 PM Gulledge Discussed making an ordinance to dispose of some articles not in use in the Police Department. The entire basement needs to be cleaned up.
8:27:06 PM Gulledge Said he is still working on the capital improvements. He has called about the special census. He has not heard back yet. He wants to find out about the high cost quoted. He encouraged the trustees to continue working on their projects.
8:39:16 PM Gulledge With nothing else to discuss, the meeting was adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,

Thelma Long, Village Clerk

Produced by FTR Log Notes
www.FTRGold.com


The Village of Maryville